The Sewing Place

Merchant and Mills Factory Dress

sewmuchmore

Merchant and Mills Factory Dress
« on: March 12, 2019, 17:51:13 PM »
I bought this  pattern last year when I came across a small independent shop and she had made a sample of the dress. Not normally a pattern company I buy as I find their site a little uninspiring but did like the dress the owner had made.
The pattern was easy to follow (don't do much following of pattern instructions so this was purely for your benefit  ;)) but I found it did sometimes lack in instruction, for example it doesn't tell you to stay stitch the neck/opening and after applying the collar and facing it just says "cut notches around neckline until collar lays flat", no mention of grading, there are 4 layers of fabric. Nor does it tell you to under stitch the facing.
I will make this again in a lighter fabric for the summer but will raise the bodice an inch and then add an inch to the length. As it is now it sits just about on my waist and I feel it would look better slightly above. On the plus side it has side pockets.
The fabric was a cheapy from Minerva and loosely woven, I did try to pattern match but it kept moving. And I ended up moving the pocket down so that no longer matches. The fabric doesn't take too kindly to having stitches unpicked either, it soon goes to a hole.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

toileandtrouble

Re: Merchant and Mills Factory Dress
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 17:58:42 PM »
How does it feel on?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

snoozi soozi

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 17:59:08 PM »
That's cute, looks like you did a grand job.  :sew:

Definitely the type of pattern you could make multiple versions of
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

jintie

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 18:01:18 PM »
I think you did a pretty good job with this pattern, but it is disappointing when the fabric lets you down. Although it looks a little floppy, maybe an underslip would help?
Rottweiler with scissors

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 18:18:38 PM »
How does it feel on?
The fabric itself is soft on the skin and the pattern is loose enough to be comfortable without looking like a sack.
@jintie I wouldn't describe it as floppy, it is a loose fitting dress but I would probably wear a slip under it. It is only for every day dog walking wear so nothing special.

Janet

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 17:09:01 PM »
It's good to see a proper picture of this pattern - the ones on the site are impossible. Looks like a do-er!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 17:29:34 PM »
That is a really nice shape and I agree, it certainly is helpful to see the pattern actually made up.

Nevis5

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 08:36:51 AM »
I like your version, @sewmuchmore , it looks really nice.  I made this up a couple of years ago in a chambray but it looked terrible on me,  I looked like my granny in it.  The skirt on yours looks a bit more shapely than mine did; did you peg it in a bit?  I might have another go at it.....

sewmuchmore

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 16:28:02 PM »
@Nevis5 I did taper the lower side seams a little bit and I also did 3 small tucks rather than the 2 on the pattern at the waist.

Janet

jintie

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 16:33:39 PM »
Check out the video clip on their website- the designer is wearing this dress.
Rottweiler with scissors