The Sewing Place

ISO. tilt able table for sewing machine

annieeg

ISO. tilt able table for sewing machine
« on: March 12, 2019, 18:43:32 PM »
Does anyone know if you can get these from a uk supplier?  They're available from the US (ergonomic advantage.com) but I'm struggling to find a UK supplier.
Any ideas?
Annie

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: ISO. tilt able table for sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 19:18:56 PM »
I now have visions of the sewing machine bouncing it's way off the tilted table onto your lap...

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 22:41:14 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper
I didn't plan on putting the machine on at a 45 degree angle  0_0
The trigger to ask the question was because I spent 2 hours this afternoon putting together a toile of the Martha (Style Arc) overshirt this afternoon and ended up with a crick in my neck because of bending over the sewing machine and I'd seen a picture of the tilt-able-table for sewing machines and thought it might be a good idea  :S

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 22:52:00 PM »
If you just want to tilt the machine forwards a few degrees get a couple of door-stop wedges (prefereably non-slip rubber) and push them under the back of your machine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 23:40:16 PM »
This is what she's after.  My Physical Therapist would disagree that that will "relieve back & neck strain". It might help but the wedge door stops would be just as effective. Using a thin board, like a cutting board, on top of the stops would allow you to easily adjust. Proper chair, chair height & lumbar support, combined with proper table height so your arms are resting in a normal relaxed position will do a lot for the pain. A good portable light as well.

Says the woman who hasn't sewn for a year due to neck and back pain but has seen that Physical Therapist for a long time now.

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:09:15 AM »
thanks @Renegade Sewist - that's exactly what I'm looking for! :D

I have my machine set as a flat bed (with Horn insert) in my cabinet, but I'm wondering if I should raise it so its higher and I don't have to bend so far over when I'm sewing?

What is the optimum height of the machine ? (I realise it would depend on the height of the user.)

Any advice anyone?
Annie

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 09:52:36 AM »
annieg I remember reading somewhere that tipping the machine up in order to be able to see to sew can cause problems with computerised machines, so perhaps go and ask a dealer or get in touch with the company who makes your machine.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
Annie, what about lowering your seat (if that is possible) ? 

The Horn cabinet is great, but it is a fixed height and it isn't my most comfortable workspace either.

I don't think I would fancy tilting my machine though - knowing my luck, it would land in my lap!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 13:49:57 PM »
@annieeg I would definitely try setting up your machine so that it's not in the flat bed position.  I'm 5'7" (and a bit) and found that my previous machine was too low that way.

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 16:13:37 PM »
I too have been told that computerised machines should be kept level but I can't remember why. I think it might be that tilting upsets the electronics.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 19:07:57 PM »
Annie, sure. Here's a link to OSHA's Sewing Ergonomics pages. This is sewing station design, please look at all the other pages too and especially stitching. Here's an infographic from the page.

Hmmm. You shouldn't need to bend over when you're sewing. Is that an issue with adequate lighting or needing vision correction?  8) Sometimes we think we need our nose in there but if you look at the image a lot of us slouch/crouch  in front of the machine.

It starts at the bottom. Feet should be level, chair height so your thighs are basically level. Chair should have lumbar support-adjusted to you- and your back should contact the back of the chair. Ideally the machine is flat bed in the table top so your wrists aren't tweaked. Your forearms should be level while sewing. If using a portable machine using an extension table helps to give you a larger level surface.

You have to adjust the table top, seat and floor for all of that. Table higher or lower, seat higher or lower, maybe a cushion under you and possibly a platform for your feet and the foot pedal.

I'm 5' 8', very long torso so sit high in the seat. My table is too high so I need a cushion and a platform for my feet, as my legs are sorta short. It does feel like I'm far away from the action of the needle but with proper lighting and decent glasses I can get used to it. Partially it's retraining ourselves to adopt better posture.
 My PT also said not to sit there for more than 20 minutes without getting up and walking across the room. Just takes a minute but it interrupts bad posture.

OSHA is US Dept. of Labor's Occupational Safety & Health Administration. I get great factoids from them.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

annieeg

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 22:27:16 PM »
@Renegade Sewist
Thanks so much for the very useful and informative post and I'm sure other TSP members can benefit from it as well as me :sew: