The Sewing Place

Style Arc Martha Over shirt

annieeg

Style Arc Martha Over shirt
« on: March 13, 2019, 14:01:54 PM »
I'm not sure who's made this before - could it be @Francesca or @DementedFairy ?
I've made a wearable toile which is more like a light jacket/cover-up because of the fabric, but will definitely make it again. Just wondered what might be suitable:  lightweight demin? linen/viscose? even knitted?

I will post a picture of the toile when its finished but wanted to say I think its a fantastic shape, flattering and not oversized.
It went together well, once I got my head around the "odd" shaped pattern pieces. >:)
https://www.stylearc.com/?s=martha&post_type=product

DementedFairy

Re: Style Arc Martha Over shirt
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 21:00:51 PM »
not me, a bit too flared for my shape, but it's a cutie
C'est moi!

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 21:15:21 PM »
It's on my wish list, but I haven't got any further than that.  I'm really interested in your opinion of it.  I'd have thought it would be lovely in lightweight denim.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 22:04:59 PM »
I cut it out last week in some drapey viscose.  Unfortunately a drastic need for new curtains means that it is on hold for a couple of days

I look forward to seeing other versions.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 10:21:18 AM »
Interesting style.  I would think drapey viscose would be lovely for a nice soft effect.  Silk crepe de chine would make a lovely top for evening with some smart trousers. Soft lightweight denim or linen for casual daytime wear.  I think knits would work but might need to size it down a bit and check that it doesn’t drag everything down.  But as there aren’t any darts as such, at least they won’t be hitting in the wrong place! :o

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 18:47:58 PM »
@annieeg - did you make the size that matched your size?  I can see (from the measurements on the Style Arc website) that it looks as though there is an awful lot of ease, but I suspect that may be because the bust is sort of mixed up with the sleeves...  :o

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 09:00:22 AM »
@Acorn   I made to my size 20 and the fit across the bust is good, all the ease/"space" in the garment is in the back and lower front as its angled.  I will post a pic of the toile when its a little more complete.
It didn't work as well in the fabric I chose which is a little "springy" so its not falling as well as I would like, but the core shape is really attractive (at least I think so).

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 09:44:26 AM »
Oooo I love that. I'm a big fan of overshirts. I love the fabric they've made it up in and it wouldn't matter if it was see through as you'd have something underneath, or I would. Who made those fab white lawn (?) shirts for her OH in the competition? It'd be lovely in that fabric. All waftie.
Can't wait to see your version. It's one of the few SA patterns I've been tempted by.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 09:46:22 AM »
I think that was @Lachica @wrenkins .

annieeg

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 17:21:05 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Here are the promised toile pictures (a bit pathetic in the photography stakes  :|).
The fabric was NOT the right choice, but hopefully you can see the shape of the shirt. 
The back has a pleat which just won't sit flat because of the fabric, but I may top stitch it down flat to make it look like a simple back seam.
I think the sides are really a good shape, because of the angled pattern pieces.
As an aside, if anyone can offer hints on how to take better photos, I'd be really appreciative.  (I have a Samsung S7 phone.)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 17:23:16 PM by annieeg »

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 17:44:48 PM »
Very nice - thank you.  I'm going to get the pattern next month (I don't fancy either of this month's freebies!)   :)

I have some nice denim blue viscose with white spots that I think would be ideal.