The Sewing Place

Playing with Superwool 110 - Making a reversible pinafore/jumper

CCL

I had some fun recently trying to use a superwool 110 fabric that had very different shades on the right/wrong sides of the fabric.  I wanted to make something to show both sides - and ideally reversible.

Here's what I came up with - nothing exotic, but fun to puzzle out nonetheless.

jumper-sage-side

reverse side jumper

It's a traced pattern from a hand-me-down Ready-to-Wear garment gifted to me by a friend.  It's definitely not my usual style - but I wanted to try some new to me techniques (Madeira applique) using a new to me stitch on my machine.

selfie of jumper r

Before edged hemming

One more of the yoke that makes the shoulders - and a close up of the pic stitch.

20190301_pic-stitch
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 15:54:44 PM by CCL »
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

annieeg

Re: Making a reversible pinafore/jumper
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 14:09:13 PM »
 Very impressive 0_0

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 11:01:39 AM »
That is super neat sewing...

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 22:55:56 PM »
Good style and a lovely sheen on the fabric. So neat!

CCL

Re: Playing with Superwool 110 - Making a reversible pinafore/jumper
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 15:59:50 PM »
Thanks, SkoutSews, Efemera, and annieeg!

The fabric was an internet purchase and when it arrived, I was surprised by how great the color contrast was between the sides.  I bought it originally for trousers, but when it came, I decided I wanted to do something to play with the contrast. I love the grey underside of the fabric for the yoke and how it contrasts with the sage green.  I kept the inside/reverse just the grey.  Thought I might more wear out of it that way.

I was working out problems on an RTW jumper that I had traced and made up once.  Before that I hadn't done this particular applique technique with my machine using soluble thread.  It seemed like a good pattern for this fabric.

Mulled a bit on how to make working pockets on both sides, and still flat fell the side seams to make the jumper reversible.  Gave up on the pockets and am glad I did, because I think they would have been too much for the drape.  The "reversible hem" was also a challenge, but I got a lot of good input from sewing friends on how to tackle it.

It was fun to try to figure out.   Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 16:05:44 PM by CCL »
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums