The Sewing Place

Sewing machine (overlocker) carrying bag

WildAtlanticWay

Sewing machine (overlocker) carrying bag
« on: March 14, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »
Does anyone have a link to a pattern suitable for making a bag to take my overlocker to my sewing class?

I have a lovely strong bag for my main sewing machine from RooBeauty that has a vinyl outside printed with vintage sewing related images. However, I’ve looked online and the ones big enough (square) for an overlocker are very expensive. (£50?)

I was wondering about adapting a bag pattern and making the bag using slightly thicker cotton (curtain type?) fabric.
Perhaps incorporating 2 long zips that meet on top, in the middle.
What would I use to make the bottom a bit more solid?

If anyone has tackled a similar project, I’d really appreciate your advice. Thanks.

StitchinTime

Re: Sewing machine (overlocker) carrying bag
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 10:28:54 AM »
One of the Mrs H bag patterns is for a sewing machine bag. There are photos of differnt versions including one that has an overlocker in the bag rather than a sewing machine. There's a bit more about the bag on Mrs H's blog.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:36:43 AM »
McCalls 4851 might do. It's bigger than it looks and the handles are long enough to tie together for carrying. You could make the side pockets deeper to take the foot control. I have measured mine and it's almost as big as my overlocker bag.

sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/13181

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:44:47 AM »
I was thinking of trying to make something that zipped off from the bottom for my machines. Kind of like a cover with a zip on base if that describes it a bit better. That way I wouldn't have to support their weight in one hand whilst wrestling them into submission with the other!  :o
My plan comes to nothing when I imagine the considerable weight of my 70s Singer being held up by a gitchy £2 zip.  :S
....mmmm maybe 'occasional carrying' straps attached to the base with hook and loop..... More thinking required.  8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 12:39:42 PM »
One of the Mrs H bag patterns is for a sewing machine bag.

Thank you, that looks promising.
However, it suggests a ‘foam core board’ for the base.

The only fabric shop in Cork city (quite a small range) doesn’t sell these types of things so can anyone suggest where I might purchase such things?

Would you try a fabric/craft supplies shop or a DIY type shop?

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 12:47:27 PM »
I was thinking of trying to make something that zipped off from the bottom for my machines. Kind of like a cover with a zip on base if that describes it a bit better. That way I wouldn't have to support their weight in one hand whilst wrestling them into submission with the other!  :o

As you say, sounds a brilliant idea initially until you consider the force on the zip. Although I’m sure you can buy fairly strong zips. 

I’m now thinking that maybe I just need to make a very simple strong large square shopping bag that is open at the top so doesn’t need a zip. It’s not like I’m wanting to take it to classes every week, just occasionally.
I’d be able to use the bag for carrying ordinary grocery shopping and other stuff too.   :)

Radiofan

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »
I'm not convinced you need a patten for a rectangular bag, unless you want it to be a bit fancy.

I made a large shopping bag out of cordura, similar in size to what would be required for a small machine. Main enhancements would be a hardboard bottom and a panel with zip at the top. There's nothing hard about constructing box shapes.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 13:41:08 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay You'd probably find foam board in an Art supplies shop, but you can also get plastic canvas mesh to use as bag bases (Bag Clasps have it on offer at the moment). I've used thin chopping mats in bags, but they might not be rigid enough for an overlocker. I've also deconstructed lever arch file and box files and used those, but they can be a bit tough to cut to the correct size and are not waterproof.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 14:07:55 PM »
....aaaaaaand yet another shopping basket with stuff in it.  :(

I had dismissed cardboard, hardboard, mdf, and even plywood for the base due to waterproofness problems. I must admit marine ply did go past but we're back to weight again.

What about those thin and bendy chopping boards. Any cheaper than the stuff that's in my basket proper stuff?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 14:28:29 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay You'd probably find foam board in an Art supplies shop, but you can also get plastic canvas mesh to use as bag bases (Bag Clasps have it on offer at the moment).

That’s brilliant! Exactly what I need.
Ooo, can see things hopping into my online basket...

Thank you so much.  :loveit:

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 16:15:59 PM »
I've made several bags for lace pillows with two zips meeting in the middle, not unduly difficult, but not the sort of thing for carrying a sewing machine or overlocker.

Basically you need a rectangular box shape to suit the shape of the overlocker, with a 'lid' attached on one side and 2 zips (or one very long one) going around the other three sides.  A bit like this lunch bag and with a stiff base.  For strength I would take the straps all the way underneath so that they support the base rather than suspend the weight from the sides.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SkoutSews

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 23:01:29 PM »
I didn't make one, I bought this

It is very good.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 08:13:45 AM »
This is my bag for my normal machine but an overlocker bag needs to be square rather than rectangular as the overlocker is a different shape. The zip starts at one side and finishes at the other so it opens very wide to accommodate the machine and it has a front pocket for the foot pedal and cable. I was hoping to make something similar.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sakar

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 08:35:49 AM »
For my old sewing machine I designed and made my own sewing bag, the wodden plate created Mr.Sakar :D

I will just go and look for some good pics for you.

That's the main construction: Denim for the bottom and a nice canvas for the sidewalls. These parts you can create just in measuring your (overlock)  machine.

That's nearly the same picture, but we have added a wodden basic plate. You don't have to do it, but it stablizes the machine very well while carrying it around. And it reduces the pressure to the sides panels of the machine nearly to zero. 

Here you can see my old Singer on the basic plate.

After closing the left and the right side, the bag can be fully locked by the front and the back with two velcro fastener.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:05:48 AM by Sakar »

Sakar

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 08:59:52 AM »
And last but not least a picture, how we created a stabilized carrying system with two wodden sticks and  strong straps.

I used printed canvas and black denim (for the bottom), and as batting I bought "Soft and Steady" / "Soft and stable" / "StyleVil" / "StyleFill" (I don't know, what you call it, in German this batting has so many different names....  :S) It makes the bag fantastic stable and protective for the machine, but I hate it for putting away, because I don't have a place at home, where to hide it  -<

Something like this should be possible to sew for you overlock too, just adapt the dimensions.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:05:11 AM by Sakar »