The Sewing Place

Singer 185K

b15erk

Singer 185K
« on: March 15, 2019, 13:28:01 PM »
I thought I would write this down as it may help someone else.

I bought this machine about 3 years ago, cleaned and oiled it, but never used it much as it was noisier than the 99k, and quite heavy going compared to the light touch of the 99k.

Long story short, I got it out yesterday as it was handy, gave it a drink of oil, but it wasn't running well at all.  So, more oil, change needle, tension, no better.

Today it was dripping oil, but still running heavy, and starting to irritate me.  Eventually, I decided that it was either thread in the bobbin race, or some other stray lint.  Dismantled the bobbin area, no lint but I gave it a good clean anyway, and then I noticed a bit of lint in the feed dogs.  Did I say a bit, it was felted, but unnoticeable, so I got a tiny screwdriver and set to clean it.  You've never seen anything like it!  Completely felted up.  Well, not now it isn't!

Gave a spray of Plusgas in case anything else wa gummed up, and decided to adjust the belt.

What a difference!!  Still not as quiet as the 99k, but running smoothly, and no help needed to start the seam (the belt was jamming before).

I'm now happy with the machine, but still can't use it until it stops dripping!  ;)  (I'm sewing white)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

Re: Singer 185K
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 16:46:01 PM »
Good save!  It would be difficult to see the felting in the grooves, even in good light, and it's something that I wouldn't have thought of.  Glad you've got the machine running sweetly again.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 21:38:59 PM »
I have two of these... if I could combine them I might have a running machine!

arrow

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 02:10:24 AM »
I knew it had to be something with your 185K, Jessie. With this model (much the same was with 99s) there are a few things to go through; don't give up on cleaning and oiling, scrape out every groove and corner where lind and grime gathers. I use wooden coctail pins and tooth picks. Take the bother too undo all lids and covers to oil and poke out any dust and grime.

The feed dogs run on a cam like part under the bed, the roller inside it is suppose to turn freely, and can be gummed up by oil  oil and grime. This is one of those things you don't really notice unless you know about, because the machine will stitch and run regardless; but it runs noticeably smoother when it turns, and much less wear on the parts too.

Poke down all the oil points on top of the machine with a tooth pick too, to make sure oil reaches the turning parts inside. If it's not as smooth as it should be, take the machine into use, oil and tend to it a bit every day and you will get to the root of the problem.

If the machine was in hardly used condition when you got it, I have heard some say they run smoother after being use a while. If the noise comes from the bobbin case, it might need a bit of adjustment. The bobbin race and hook needs to be adjusten enough for the upper thread to pass around and pick up the bobbin thread with out any drag, but not leave too much room for the bobbin case to rattle. This adjustment is a bother, and should be done with a top stitch thread.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 13:51:44 PM by arrow »

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »
Arrow, atm the 185k is running amazingly well, apart from the lightbulb.  I didn't use it yesterday, but I tried to change the bulb again today, but still no joy, but when I ran the machine - wow, it sounds wonderful.  Still not as smooth as the 99k, but with it's own distinct sound.

I'm not sure who to ask about the lightbulb and whether it may be a safety issue (my machine man is off sick atm).

Still, for now, I'm going to enjoy using it!!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 18:32:33 PM »
The 99K has heavier cast iron body, the 185 is a bit more slender, but still not that much lighter, unless it's aluminium. It could account for the sound difference. Singer used various motors, some had better bearings than others. I assume yours have the later lubrican free version; the earlier version that needs grease might be a tad smoother, but it's arguable. The lugged neoprene belts make my 201 more noisy. 

As you well know, the internals are the same on the 99s and 185s, they should in theory both run nicely, with only minor differences. ...I'm just thinking out loud...