The Sewing Place

Dye help please

jintie

Dye help please
« on: March 15, 2019, 16:04:28 PM »
I used Koala Bear Cold Dye on an oatmeal coloured cotton/linen, and it went a yellowish mustard colour. I hoped it would be more like coffee. Any ideas to dull the yellow tinge without buying another dye?
Rottweiler with scissors

Iminei

Re: Dye help please
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 16:27:55 PM »
Mustard is very in this year.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

jintie

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 16:30:32 PM »
True, but in my case, only if you want people to ask if I am feeling ill
Rottweiler with scissors

Radiofan

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 10:54:26 AM »
You could try tea staining.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 11:49:07 AM »
Isn’t Koala Brown cold water dye quite a mustardy colour anyway?

Either wash it in a hot wash with biological powder to try fading it a bit or re-colour it.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 12:46:34 PM »
@jintie you could try a dye remover or colour run remover, no idea how it will turn out I've never done it. Probably best to give it a good wash, hot as it can take, maybe a squirt of bleach? Sorry, all ifs and buts, just got to risk something radical  :o
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

jintie

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 13:22:44 PM »
Thanks everyone, I will ponder on the suggestions before rushing in as usual. I did a lot of dyeing in the past, with variable results. Never managed to get an article completely streak free. Oh, I tell a lie, I managed a really spectacular purple bra!
Rottweiler with scissors

hernibs

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 14:45:47 PM »
As we dyers all know you can never be sure what things are going to turn out like.  I recently bought a bright pink woollen sweater off ebay - turned out it was too big for me so I 'dyed' it with a dark brown dye, cold water one....it turned out a dull light wine colour and surprise surprise my DH is wearing it...I did question it with Dylon and they said the way the wool was finished was probably the reason it was not brown.....one can only try but I usually have good results....and dyes aren't cheap, are they so we want them to work the way we think they should......off to watch rugby.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 19:41:50 PM »
The base colour has an effect on anything which is dyed.  I'm not surprised that a bright pink sweater overdyed with brown came out wine colour - assuming you mean red wine :toast:.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

jintie

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 17:02:14 PM »
Well, as the wind and rain eased off for a bit today, I tried bleach, then rinse, then strong tea. It's not so mustardy now tht it's dry, so I think I will hang it outside when the sun is stronger later in the season.
PS- modified to clarify- sun bleaching hopefully will fade the colour.
(I have found sun effective on tomato stains).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 17:20:38 PM by jintie »
Rottweiler with scissors