The Sewing Place

Saturday 16th March

Pinkstar

Re: Saturday 16th March
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 14:47:33 PM »
To those not looking forward to their supermarket visits, may I whisper in your ear - online shopping and home delivery...

Mutters about Aldi not doing online shopping

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 14:54:16 PM »
Ditto M&S and Morrisons.  Asda are the only people who deliver here (well T***o do, but I'd rather starve) and I can't get everything from Asda.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

maliw

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 16:51:32 PM »
Told you I'd nothing planned - I made parkin, yes I know it's not November but I like parkin and DD called in to pick something up on her way shopping so we ended up looking after the littlies while she went on her own. Much much quicker ;)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 17:02:52 PM »
Ditto M&S and Morrisons. 

Morrisons started deliveries around here a few months ago.  In September Ocado will be ditching Waitrose and delivering M&S.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Stitches

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 17:32:28 PM »
Had a lovely day at our sewing group 2new ladies joined today ,just one place left and that's for a special person when she comes to Norfolk

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 17:35:25 PM »
Morrisons started deliveries around here a few months ago.  In September Ocado will be ditching Waitrose and delivering M&S.

Yes - Morrisons stick pretty much to rather more occupied areas than ours.  I think they started with the midlands, but still didn't get out to the edges.  I live in hope that M&S will deliver here, but I will still be astonished if they do!

Sandra

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 18:28:18 PM »
It's my daughter's birthday today.  :)  :cake:  17 years old today.

Her treat for today has been to go to the carvery. She  :loveit: loooves going to the carvery. We got a taxi there, and on the way back (in the rain  :S ) asked to be dropped off at our local Asda so we could pick up a birthday cake, and a bit of shopping.
We both got a soaking walking back from there.
Got home. The cat had used her litter tray  :x while we were out. The entire house smells awful. Son is nowhere to be seen.  -<  He probably couldn't stand the smell either, so went out.

The walk probably did us good after stuffing ourselves, but I'm tired now.

Sandra.
xxx

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 19:11:38 PM »
Awww @Stitches  that's lovely  <3
Neither OH nor I would countenace home delivery...... it's fine if you work or are old and infirm, but we're neither  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 19:24:08 PM »
Awww @Stitches  that's lovely  <3
Neither OH nor I would countenace home delivery...... it's fine if you work or are old and infirm, but we're neither  ;)
We neither work nor are old and infirm, but we are lazy  0_0
Also, the nearest Sainsburys is a 24 mile round trip, and is such a tiny store it doesn't have much anyway.  Other supermarkets are slightly nearer, but still at least a 20 mile round trip.

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 19:35:00 PM »
Same here, pretty much.  If I go to the supermarket myself I have to allow 2 hours for it.  If I have a home delivery it takes little longer than writing a shopping list to prepare it, and 5 minutes when the stuff arrives.

BrendaP

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2019, 19:37:01 PM »
We have a couple of Co-ops and a grotty Spar nearer, but the round trip to the nearest proper supermarkets Morrisons, Tesco, M&S, a small Asda and an Aldi with a tiny carpark are all 20 miles round trips.  Add up the cost of petrol and time and it's worth paying for home delivery.  If you choose lateish evening (or silly oclock in the morning) Ocado deliver free!
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

fajita

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2019, 21:30:23 PM »
I've never had home food deliveries. We are well catered for in this town, food shop wise. Marks&Spencer with food hall just five minutes up the road. Waitrose five minutes the opposite direction. Co op and Lidl five minutes to the right and co op and one stop five minutes to the left.

Oops, forgot Morrisons right near M&S
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 22:51:50 PM by fajita »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2019, 21:55:30 PM »
I'm considering the home delivery option. With only one car currently working and each of us with various health issues it looks interesting to me. Even with most of the stores I shop within 1 to 2 miles I can see the benefit when I'm getting the 16 or 32 pound bags of cat food and 20 lb jugs of litter.  :meow: :meow: :meow:

A couple of them also have it so you order, they pull it all together, you show up and they bring it out to the car and load you up.

I don't think I would be happy letting someone else pick my fresh produce or meat. But for the rest, sure, why not.
The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath. w.c. fields

snoozi soozi

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2019, 22:05:40 PM »
Plenty of supermarkets near me, all within a maximum of 10 minute drive but I only shop at Aldi for ourselves and Morrisons for dog food. Oh and the nearest High Street/market is about a 15 minute walk, where I browse Wilko, Home Bargains, a great butcher and loads of independent shops. Just not got no fabric enablers  :loveit:
Sun's out ☺ - spoke too soon 😦

b15erk

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 15:45:37 PM »
I think I preferred the old style of home delivery which was still practised when I was a little girl (born 1953).  I would walk to the shops with my mum and she would shop for her groceries which were then boxed up and delivered by the time we got home.

Granted there was no frozen food, but it seems that it was more civilised.  Or maybe that's just my rose tinted glasses... ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.