The Sewing Place

Backgammon

fajita

Backgammon
« on: March 16, 2019, 18:16:41 PM »
Husband wanted a portable backgammon set. Asked me to make one. This is the result. Initially it was to have wooden dowels at either side to keep it taut, the tubes are in place for this, and it was going to go Into a plastic box. But on completion himself decided he'd rather fold it into a drawstring bag, so dowels not included.

snoozi soozi

Re: Backgammon
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 18:23:45 PM »
That's really clever @fajita, if I had my way I'd cover everything in the house in fabric  :sew:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 19:00:51 PM »
Love it ... do you and he play???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 19:06:08 PM »
Great idea and really cool :)

fajita

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 21:05:56 PM »
Thankyou.

@Lowena we do like the occasional game, but we play the 'baby' version, i.e. Without the doubling dice.

Apologies @Lowena, this was meant to be a reply to @Iminei.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 22:48:29 PM by fajita »

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 22:17:48 PM »
I hope he appreciates the work that went into this.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 12:18:45 PM »
This is lovely hope you have many happy hours playing

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 17:35:28 PM »
There are 3 games you can play on a backgammon board.

I learnt in Greece, where BG is called Tavli ... then the next game is called Plakatoa (Iirc) I used to be able top play this but that was long ago and I have no idea how it goes now and the one beyond that I cannot recall at all.

Those were happy, happy days playing in tavernas in the evening with a glass of retsina ... how I wish I could go back to them.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 17:51:39 PM »
Oh dear Im. My backgammon days, also in Greece, also far behind me were helped along with 10 drachma a glass Ouzo.  :|
Love the idea of a fold up board.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

cbcarolyn

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 00:10:57 AM »
that is really good.  I made my husband a mini drawstring bag for his backgammon pieces, but never thought about making an entire board.