The Sewing Place

UK Pattern Manufacturers

BrendaP

Re: UK Pattern Manufacturers
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »
Sadly it's like so many other things in life; the small independents, British or otherwise, can't compete with the biggies on price.  Unless it's something really unusual the chances are you will be able to find something very similar to any of the indi patterns with one of the big 4.

Very often it's the individual hacks - longer or shorter sleeves, altered neckline, colour combinations etc - that make our garments unique, not the actual pattern that's used.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2017, 10:29:02 AM »
Sadly it's like so many other things in life; the small independents, British or otherwise, can't compete with the biggies on price.

This is massively over priced for what it is.  A Vogue designer label pattern is £15 and infinitely more complex.

Topstitched

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 12:03:55 PM »
Mc2 patterns have come at it from the "fitting" angle and their website says they have a background in the apparel manufacturing industry

https://mc2-patterns.com

I've not tried them yet but I'd like to see what their bespoke blocks are like

b15erk

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 12:31:08 PM »
Just had a quick look, and there is at least one pattern with my name on it....:)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 12:35:48 PM »
This is massively over priced for what it is.  A Vogue designer label pattern is £15 and infinitely more complex.

You also have to factor in economies of scale. Yes it's basic, but most of the work done on that pattern is done by probably one or two people. And they're not selling on the same scale as Vogue.

As someone who has worked in a hand-made small industry (running my own knitwear business) I came up against this a lot. People would look at my work and say it was lovely and when I told them the price they'd say "why? I can just got to H&M and get it for a fifth of the price!". I couldn't compete, but I didn't want to compete anyway.

The economies of scale, the flow production methods and the size of the McCalls pattern empire means they will always be able to produce a more cost effective product, and indies shouldn't be considered to be "charging too much" because they don't compare. Apples and oranges.

Efemera

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »
I have to agree with the silliness of some indie pattern prices...some are extortionate, I often buy from artists and makers and don't quibble with the high prices for something unique or beautiful.. however most of the indie patterns are neither...

Francesca

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 13:45:19 PM »
I have to agree with the silliness of some indie pattern prices...some are extortionate, I often buy from artists and makers and don't quibble with the high prices for something unique or beautiful.. however most of the indie patterns are neither...

Yeah, I won't deny there are plenty of people who make crappy garments and are all about marketing. No substance, no style! But that's not true for all and £18 for a well-fitting pattern from an indie doesn't seem unreasonable to me considering the economies of scale. Cashmerette, for example, is worth it for me.

Didi

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 13:47:24 PM »
I agree with Fran about how economies of scale mean that the "big 4" are able to charge less than the smaller indie companies, however, every sector has its market price and sewing patterns are no different. People will pay more for something new and/or different or that is well produced but that is not always the case with the smaller independants and they end up pricing themselves out of the market

Samantha

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 13:56:10 PM »
Both Fran and UttaRetch are right - £14 is a lot for something you can get cheaper yet Fancy Tiger Crafts probably can't produce that pattern anywhere near the Big 4 lower prices because they are only small.

If I were an independent pattern designer I'd look at making my patterns different from the bog standard tops etc.

Francesca

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2017, 14:08:06 PM »
they end up pricing themselves out of the market

Many of them are doing a booming trade though. People are buying them, even if they're misinformed about whether they're getting value for money.

UttaRetch

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2017, 14:11:38 PM »
If I were an independent pattern designer I'd look at making my patterns different from the bog standard tops etc.

Precisely.   If I was ever in the market for a basic top pattern, I certainly wouldn't pay £14 for one.

@Fran: I get what you are saying about handmade products and I would certainly buy a beautifully knitted cardigan rather than something horrid from H&M, but perception of worth is in the eye of the beholder and not the producer. 

jen

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2017, 18:56:09 PM »
I get the impression that several indies have managed to find a niche amongst a group of newer sewers who want to feel part of something, and like the whole social media thing of making something that a group of other people are making. Others may have picked up on the grumbles about the major pattern companies' fit issues. The craze for 'vintage' had people paying silly prices for 50s patterns of sheath dresses, basically the same product you can buy in contemporary collections, but with a different picture on the envelope.

UttaRetch

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 20:49:23 PM »
I had a set to with someone on another sewing forum who says the 'big 4' patterns are staid and boring.  I responded by saying that 'indie' is often a basic and shapeless and that I didn't care to go about dressed as a six-year-old child - pinafores, bite me.

jen

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2017, 07:51:18 AM »
There are staid and boring patterns on the Big 4 sites, that is basic styles we all like, which we can jazz up with nice fabric, trimmings etc. I've just ordered a bunch for my daughters, because I can't be bothered to draft these in their sizes - too boring a task. Most of us wear styles which change little over ten years or more, and only occasionally burst out the wild card. A few of the less flaunted indies have some genuinely different styles which took a fair bit of design ability. Quite a lot of the offerings from small independent companies make me think 'why?', and some never seem to get beyond that first exercise in pattern drafting look.

elephun

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 09:08:12 AM »
One more small pattern making operation to add to the list- Marilla Walker