The Sewing Place

Jones Z-620 sewing machine

Sandra

Jones Z-620 sewing machine
« on: March 28, 2019, 09:28:59 AM »
My friend has recently acquired this Jones sewing machine.

'Model Z-620 Foreign'. I've not found a serial number on it yet.

She was after a simple machine for minimum use...she's not a sewer, but could/would be able to sew very basic items.
She asked me to have a look at it to see what I thought.
It weighs a ton  :S
Looks fairly clean. I've been told there is power to it. I've not dared to try to plug it in.

On to problems....Firstly, there is no bobbin case and no bobbins. The only other problem I can see, for now, it that the lever doesn't lift/drop the foot...the lever lifts and drops but the foot stays put. Clearly, I'm unable to try any sewing with it.

I'm not finding much/any information about this machine online. Is it worth tinkering with? I've found somewhere for a replacement bobbin case and bobbins, although I've not ordered them.

I'd appreciate any advice on what might be the best option for it.  :)

Thank you.

Sandra.
xxx

Radiofan

Re: Jones Z-620 sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 14:14:00 PM »
Attachments are still available for it, but before spending money on it, you should determine whether it is economical to repair it.

It would be good take covers off to see if anything is broken. Examine the lifter to see why it is not working. Rotate the wheel and check the feed mechanism is working etc.

Looks like a late 1950s or 60s machine, probably OK to plug it in to see if the motor runs.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 15:29:19 PM »
I don't think it is worth spending too much money on the machine. Hopefully you can take a look inside and getting the foot lifting and lowering - oil and a hairdryer can be usedful to unstick stuck parts.

I would also check if the bobbin winder works as often the rubber ring perishes and the winder won't drive from the main wheel. You should be able to check this partly without a bobbin just by pushing the winder against the main wheel and seeing if the necessary bits rotate.

I have got a bag of bits and pieces from an unidentified machine of a similar era which I think include a bobbin case and some winder rings. It may be false economy to spend time trying to get them to work if they are the wrong ones, but I am happy to send you anything that might be useful and would save you money.

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 15:51:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  :)

I was thinking probably 1960's by the look of it.

I need to find a bit of time to have a better look at it. I don't think my friend's too keen on spending much/any? money on repairs, but I said I'd take a look to assess it for her.

Sandra.
xxx

arrow

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 19:34:25 PM »
These are usually all metal machines, and if so they are worth the effort to get them running again. I expect all it needs is cleaning and oiling, maybe new bobbin tyre and motor belt. The bobbin case is usually a class 15 (made by Brother); it can be a bit of a guess work, but it's a good place to start and neither cost too much. Start by oiling the presser bar if it doesn't move; I'm guessing there's oil points behind the face plate and maybe something related to the setting knob on top. Every joint, gear, hinged part needs oil; take off the top, open the face plate, unscrew the needle plate; clean and then add two drops of oil, turn the machine, and yet another drop and a bit of test sewing. Ebay is a good place to search for parts if you don't have a local store; Helen Howes knows everything about it.

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 19:39:17 PM »
Interesting that Arrow mentioned that Brother made the bobbins. Brother knitting machines were originally Jones, so I would think that Brother might be a good avenue to explore for parts.