The Sewing Place

Neckline opinion needed.

b15erk

Neckline opinion needed.
« on: March 18, 2019, 09:31:26 AM »
My question today is about stretch neckbands.  I know that from time to time we all have difficulty with them.  On the whole, mine go in OK, but I think I've narrowed down the ones which always cause me a problem, and these tend to be the ones where the fabric has least stretch. 

The top pictured is one I've made many times, and generally the neckband goes in easily, but this time I'm struggling.  sometimes if the band doesn't stretch enough, I'll cut it on the cross of the fabric, but this isn't an option this time as the remnant fabric left me very tight for fabric.

So, I've put up a pic of my latest attempt. It's OK, but it pulls away from the neck slightly when it's on.  I haven't O/Locked yet, or stitched it down, and I'm wondering if this would help?  My worry is that if I O/L, and then have to unpick, the neck will be too damaged and need trimming. This is my third attempt, one was looser, one tighter.  The tighter one looked as if the neckline was gathered.  :o  The second was hanging down.  :S

I wouldn't bother too much, but although it doesn't look much on the hanger, it looks really nice on.   :(

So girls, help and suggestions please!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

Re: Neckline opinion needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 09:38:58 AM »
Picture?

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 09:41:14 AM »
Sorry!! :| :| :|
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:53:09 AM »
Can't see a picture Jessie but the problem is one I struggle with too. I find you can sometimes get away with it by simply catching down the inside of the band to the shoulder seams and back seam if there is one (I often put in a back seam even if the pattern doesn't call for it - I prefer it to be there). Obviously you would have to try this before overlocking in case it doesn't work. I don't really like top-stitching to keep it in place and I'm not very good at stitching in the ditch, but this is the only other solution to avoid taking it off and shortening it. If the neckband is on the tight side I find it can get better after washing.

If all else fails, I have been known to use matching satin bias binding!

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »
@b15erk it looks ok to me - some would say to take no notice of that! - unless it looks worse on you than the hanger? I would be happy with that   :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 11:21:33 AM »
Is that a woven fabric?  If it is it is only really going to sit perfectly flat if it is cut on the bias.  If you can't cut it on the bias and you're not happy with it, you could make the band a bit narrower - the wider the band the more 'extra' there is in the curve.
What's the fabric?  (it's lovely btw) would it respond to a bit of judicious steaming?
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 11:22:36 AM »
If it’s a stretch fabric then the neckband is too long.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 11:28:54 AM »
Plosh, I've no idea about the fabric apart from it being a knit.  It hasn't got much stretch to it though, hence my idea of cutting on the cross to help things along.  As this isn't possible, I'll have to try other remedies. 

I have reduced the width of the band by about 3/4", but don't fancy it much narrower.

I've had a thought about doing a p+q type of binding, and bringing the band to the front to stich down?  That may work... (or not...)

SS, it does look better on, but still doesn't lay as well as I would like.

GB, Can you see the pics now?  I forgot to put them in my original post...  :| :| :|

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 11:31:49 AM »
@Efemera, that's the problem, there isn't a lot of stretch in the fabric, and if I pull the band tighter, it gathers the neckline tighter.  :S 

I think I'll ponder a while on this one.  ;)

Jessie

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »
Yes I can see it now, thank you Jessie. I think part of the problem is the depth of the band- if it was narrower it would be fine, although, having seen it I don't think I would worry about it - it looks perfectly acceptable as it is..

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »
OK, I think I have a plan.  I'm not going to remove the neckband, it's almost there.  I'm going to do another row of stitching outside of the original seam line.  That will also have the effect of narrowing the band.

I will report back.

Jessie

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 13:01:59 PM »
Too late!....I was just going to say fold it in half towards the inside and catch stitch it down...it will look like a bound edge than......

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »
I've found a narrower neckband is less likely to stand out like that.

I had a not very stretchy sweater knit which I cut with quite a wide band, and it stood out. I had already overlocked it and did not want to remove it, so I folded it over and hand sewed the fold to the seam which actually looks fine.

Having had a few neckband issues I like to pin it on first and see how it looks as its easier to remove the pins than the stitching!

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 10:37:52 AM »
It's done.  I went around the neck twice more, at 1/8" intervals, and I'm happy with it now.

What I'm not happy with is the topstitching, I just think it looks better without it.  So, tonight I will unpick and steam any marks out.

One for the Stashbust challenge I think!

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 12:07:49 PM »
I hope you have it sorted Jessie.  Bit late to the party here. But wondered if you could place the band on the pattern and steam it to shape it before sewing it on.