The Sewing Place

A lightbulb moment...

b15erk

A lightbulb moment...
« on: March 18, 2019, 14:25:33 PM »
I got the Singer 185k up and running nicely last week, ordered needles and bulbs, and when the postman came this morning I was raring to go.

I unscrewed the lightbulb mechanism - the old fashioned type, and tried to plug the lightbulb in.  Drat, wrong one, I got the screw in rather than the push in.  :(

So, I went in search of a bulb from another machine.  Eventually found one, and went ahead and pushed it in.  Nothing doing, bulb must be duff.  Went and cannibalised another machine for another bulb, same result...  :(

Then I noticed that the machine wasn't plugged in.  :| :| :|

Plugged it in, tried again, still no joy.  Next bulb, same again no lighty uppy.... :(

I think the light mechanism may be duff - unless you know any different?

Back to using my trusty LED torch as a SM lamp then...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

Re: A lightbulb moment...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 09:57:13 AM »
Tried another new bulb this morning, still no joy.  I don't think the power is getting to the bulb fitment.

I'm not brave with electrics, so I'll have to manage with the LED torch.  :( :'(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Radiofan

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:20:10 AM »
It could be the contacts in the connector need looking at. I expect part of the machine will need to be disassembled to fix it.

I hope it is not a loose wire because if that comes into contact with the metal body, you could get a shock. There is no earthing on Singer sewing machines.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:24:11 AM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »
There are no visible loose wires RF, although there may be one inside the motor... Is that dangerous??

The machine is running as sweet as a nut, and I would be reluctant to stop using it.

Jessie

Radiofan

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 10:31:16 AM »
I see, this is a model with the externally mounted lamp. The lamp housing is most probably plastic, so there should be no danger.

There may be a wiring fault in the lamp housing or at the other end, where the wire goes into the machine connector block.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:42:21 AM »
RF, the lamp is metal and glass.  Should I be worried?

Jessie

jesster

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 13:09:30 PM »
Is this one of the machines that has a knob for turning the light on and off?  It looks like it in this photoI've been known to leave it turned off and then forget to turn it back on, in similar situations...

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 13:17:11 PM »
Different shape lamp, but the switch is the same jester, and I did switch it on and off to check if the bulb was working, and it wasn't...  :(

It isn't a massive problem as the torch I'm using is doing a good job, I'm just worried that there may be a wiring problem.

It's working so well now too...  :(

Jessie

jesster

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 13:30:46 PM »
Oh, too bad it wasn't as simple as that - I thought you would probably have tried that, but worth mentioning, just in case.  I hope you get it sorted quickly!

coffeeandcake

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 15:27:15 PM »
@b15erk  as the machine hadn't been used for a while have the lighting contacts become a bit corroded?  If so some Isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud is what I would use to clean them up. Everything unplugged and switched off beforehand!
Whilst it evaporates quickly I'd wipe over with a dry cloth/cotton bud afterwards.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 15:32:04 PM »
C&C, thank you for that.  I did wipe them over with a dry cotton bud, but couldn't see inside very well...  I will ask OH if have have such a thing as Isopropyl alcohol, and have another go!

I'm a whiz at taking these lightbulbs apart and putting them together again now!

Jessie

Radiofan

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 15:50:18 PM »
RF, the lamp is metal and glass.  Should I be worried?
If the lamp enclosure is metal, I think I would be worried enough to get it checked out.
Metal machine, loose wire, no earth connection and machine vibrating, I would examine each wiring point.

Maybe you can get the OH the look at it. I think it is quite simple, just unscrewing things to visually inspect the connections.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 16:33:07 PM by Radiofan »

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 16:02:19 PM »
OH found me some spray Contact Cleaner, and it was very good, if toxic... :x

Well, unfortunately, it didn't work... but on the plus side, I have some nice shiny contacts!  ;)

:'( :'( :'(

Jessie
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 16:04:01 PM by b15erk »

arrow

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 18:23:17 PM »
The 185K is pretty late, so it has the double insulation mark (square within square). As long as  insulation and everything are fine it should be up to standard. I have had the Singer lamp appart and soldered on new wiring (1950 machine), it was relatively easy and straight forward if needed. Does your machine have the larger lamp with the turn switch? Remember it only goes clockwise, if you ever go anticlockwise you brake some copper parts in there. The new LED bulbs work well in this lamp, no problem with heat accumulating under the lumpy glass lens.