The Sewing Place

Height?

Surest1tch

Re: Height?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 19:07:57 PM »
My sewing table is 79cm, made for me by the OH. Smug, moi?  :loveit:  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

That's fab, do you lend him out for sewing room DIY  :S

snoozi soozi

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 20:35:54 PM »
@Surest1tch  @Acorn thanks, i loves my little sanctuary. The OH could probably add any jobs to his list, his list is never-ending btw so you'd be waiting a wee while  0_0
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Sara-S

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 13:27:55 PM »
My tablet is adjustable. For sewing, I set it at 72 cm.  For shutting, I like it at its maximum height of 94 cm. (I am tall and at this setting, I do not have to lean down too much.)
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

ClareInStitches

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 18:12:35 PM »
I recently bought a new gas-lift sewing/office chair from IKEA, it was only £49,, came in a variety of colours ( incl pink and turquoise) and has castors  that only roll freely when you're sat upon the seat - it's to stop the chair from rolling away from you as you sit so you're less likely to land with a bump on the floor .

How are you getting on with your Ikea chair, please, Kad?  I am considering getting one for my re-organised sewing space and looking at the Bleckbergett and the Orfjall. Was yours either of these?

Thanks.

Kad

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 18:20:14 PM »
@ClareInStitches , mine's a FLINTAN chair.
It's got a good range of height adjustment and hasn't faded noticeably despite living in the conservatory.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

ClareInStitches

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 18:27:06 PM »
Thank you, Kad. I'll add that to my list.
Clare

MargoLondinium

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2020, 08:14:00 AM »
I recently bought a new gas-lift sewing/office chair from IKEA, it was only £49,, came in a variety of colours ( incl pink and turquoise) and has castors  that only roll freely when you're sat upon the seat - it's to stop the chair from rolling away from you as you sit so you're less likely to land with a bump on the floor  0_0 

I also bought one of their height adjustable tables, not the electrically powered one but the 'wind up' version with the larger of the two available tops, and a stack of drawers also on castors that will store under the table or provide extra working surface. The table winds up with a handle to sufficient height for me to us as a cutting out table, winds down as low as you'd ever want and came with a choice of 2 sizes of table top too

So much better than my Horn cabinet which wasn't the right height for me and didn't have enough space for my legs to fit under ( I'm 6' tall with long legs).

Hi Kad - newbie here. I know this is an old post but am just researching sewing tables and noticed this post. I am also 6ft and new to sewing - need to purchase a table/desk. Can I ask which particular height adjustable desk you purchased at Ikea? Is it the Skarsta or Bekant? TIA!

Efemera

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2020, 08:22:00 AM »
I bought the electric Bekant...it’s fabulous.

Kad

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2020, 08:53:33 AM »
@MargoLondinium
I got the Skarsta table, I like the wind up mechanism and use the handle as a handy place to hang my 'scrap/bit/thread' rubbish bag whilst I'm sewing. It also raises high enough to cut out at without backache.
I use it with the Flintan gas lift chair.
Hope that's helpful  :flower:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

jintie

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2020, 16:48:12 PM »
Check online for ergonomic typing measurements- much the same for sewing
Rottweiler with scissors

MargoLondinium

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2020, 09:14:00 AM »
@MargoLondinium
I got the Skarsta table, I like the wind up mechanism and use the handle as a handy place to hang my 'scrap/bit/thread' rubbish bag whilst I'm sewing. It also raises high enough to cut out at without backache.
I use it with the Flintan gas lift chair.
Hope that's helpful  :flower:
Thanks so much, Kad  :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2020, 10:32:29 AM »
My new cutting table has been set at 98cm. 

HooliganHeart

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2020, 16:20:23 PM »
Sewing table is around 29½" / 75cm high. Old Singer table so i guess these guys knew something as it doesn't give much aches and pains (old age does that) when sitting at it for longer spells. Have another table around the same height that is used for the portable machines but not comfy for long periods because of the extra height of machine bases sitting direct on top.

UttaRetch

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 16:45:51 PM »
I sew standing up at my huge cutting table, which takes up most of the room with just enough space to walk around.  If I had a sewing table, it would just get in the way.  :D

mudcat

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 18:45:19 PM »
I may have posted about this before but in high school I sewed on my bedroom floor using my knee on the foot pedal.  I can't imagine doing that today.  I'm not limber enough. 

I would like to know what is ergonomic for sewing though.  I am getting instant back aches when I sew.  It usually goes away about an hour after I'm done.