The Sewing Place

Height?

WendyW

Re: Height?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2020, 02:18:56 AM »
in high school I sewed on my bedroom floor using my knee on the foot pedal.  I can't imagine doing that today.  I'm not limber enough. 

I sewed on the floor in high school too! Couldn't use my knee though. My mom's Singer had a "pedal" that just had a big-toe size button. I think I put my leg straight out next to the machine and put my heel on it.

Sara-S

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2021, 17:15:55 PM »
Since last I posted on this topic, I have bought a new table.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

It is 35” high. That’s great for cutting but a little high for a typical sewing chair. So I solved this by getting a drafting chair (meant to be used with higher tables) and put my foot pedal on a cigar box, so my foot reached it comfortably. I put some rubbery shelf liner on the top & bottom of the box, so it doesn’t slip away from me.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Gernella

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2021, 17:26:43 PM »
My proposed cutting out table is 36inches.  I think I might find it difficult to work at that height with a sewing machine, I'm on and off all the time and the current chair (taken home when I retired from work), is worn out on the front seat area, I'm only short so I think I might have trouble but then if you are much taller should be fine (I've got short legs as well).  Nice table though.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sara-S

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2021, 17:57:01 PM »
I am tall-5’8”. So that table is a great height fo me to stand & cut/measure.

With a drafting chair (to sit & sew), I needed to raise up the pedal for my foot to reach it. (My shorter friends loved hearing a story that ends with MY feet not reaching the floor). I am not sure how someone much shorter would raise up the pedal to a usable height.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.