The Sewing Place

Going over seams on coverlock

toileandtrouble

Going over seams on coverlock
« on: March 18, 2019, 17:11:14 PM »
I have been having trouble getting the Coverpro to go smoothly across the overlocked seams on a panelled jersey skirt. Tacking down the hem firmly on each seam, from cut edge downwards to the fold, made it go through smoothly. It was well worth the couple of minutes it took and easy enough to take out afterwards.
Hope someone else finds it helpful.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ploshkin

Re: Going over seams on coverlock
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 17:27:27 PM »
Do you snip the seam allowance where the fold of the hem is and flip the end the opposite direction to the seam ?
Life's too short for ironing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 17:28:42 PM »
Thanks for that. I'm about to hem a thick jersey top and will use the tip. My coverstitch machine had behaved well up until a recent tunic top (also thicker jersey fabric), when it was a bit of a nightmare. Fingers crossed for a better outcome this time round!

Just seen Ploshkin's post. Also noted.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 17:50:49 PM »
@Ploshkin  When I remember! Everything helps. The Coverpro refuses and drags the thicker bits along, perhaps it depends on the type of jersey to an extent.   If is a thick seam I take a little vee to take thickness away from the fold.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Morgan

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 19:33:41 PM »
Snip the seam allowance & press them in opposite directions

and

Level up the back of the long foot so that it stays flat.
- it's the same principle that applies for keeping a buttonhole foot completely level and also using a hump jumper.  You have to keep the consistent pressure on the feed dogs.  When the foot is tipped upwards by the thicker seams, the foot no longer presses the fabric onto the feed dogs with the same pressure as before so  the material does not get pulled through as it should and the stitching is disrupted.  When you keep the foot completely level when it has to go over bumps, the pressure of the foot is kept constant and the feed of the fabric can be controlled.

Also stitch slowly over joins and hand crank it if necessary.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 16:04:16 PM by Morgan »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 22:18:57 PM »
Do you snip the seam allowance where the fold of the hem is and flip the end the opposite direction to the seam ?

yes I do this.