The Sewing Place

Heeelllllllppppp!!!!! Advice needed.

Acorn

Heeelllllllppppp!!!!! Advice needed.
« on: March 18, 2019, 19:36:53 PM »
I am going to a Do.  You may have picked up on the fact that I don't generally do dressy.

On the plus side, I have my birds top - this one:

However, it is blue, and my only posh skirt is black.  I clearly need to either buy some dressy blue trousers, or buy/make a skirt.

The biggest problem is the matching up of navy blues.  The top is not as dark as it appears in the picture, and I can't imagine how I could possibly get a match buying online - and that's the only option.  I have no time to get samples, because The Do is a fortnight tomorrow.

So.  Has anyone got any ideas about how to match them?  I can't imagine a patterned fabric that would go with the top, but if anyone has any thoughts I'd love you forever.

Maybe I should leave the birds top and make a top to go with my black skirt.  I could probably do that from stash.  I do love my black skirt (black smooth crepey stuff, flowy with sparkly bits), but I really want to wear my prize-winning birds top.   -<

Either way, I'm going to need shoes.  Online again.  EEE fit, with small heels that I won't fall off (not kitten heels, much as I would love them.  I would break an ankle.)

Oh dear.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

Re: Heeelllllllppppp!!!!! Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 19:42:32 PM »
What about one of the beige/rust colours of the birds for the trousers?  It wouldn't have to be such a perfect match as navy would need to be.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 19:46:08 PM »
What about one of the beige/rust colours of the birds for the trousers?  It wouldn't have to be such a perfect match as navy would need to be.

This. 
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 19:54:00 PM »
Marisota have Mary Janes EEE in various colours, nice little heel and look comfortable.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Holly Berry

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 20:02:25 PM »
Agree with @BrendaP, matching the other colours might be more successful than trying to match the blue
Procrastination get behind me

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 20:08:47 PM »
I agree with t'other suggestions, match the top with something in one of the bird colours. Sorted. The top is lovely BTW  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 20:09:32 PM »
Agree with the others about matching the bird colours (that top is fab).
Hotter have EEEshoes and not all look like they are for your granny
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 20:23:15 PM by sewingj »

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 20:10:51 PM »
@BrendaP @Goth Gardiner @Holly Berry et al I know you're right about the other colours, but rust/beige/brown of any sort are really not my colours.  I will have a good look at it in the daylight tomorrow to see if any of the colours could work for me, but I'm not hopeful.

@toileandtrouble Thanks - I hadn't thought of Marisota.  (Looking now they have the most gorgeous kitten heels that would definitely lead me to a sprained ankle at best...)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 20:19:24 PM by Acorn »

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 22:21:52 PM »
I think that although matching the other colours would be easier, it would be far less dressy than the navy would be. I would go with making a top to go with your black skirt - something you are obviously very comfortable in - and plan another outing for the birds top.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 07:41:09 AM »
I agree with @Greybird about the 'bird' colours making for a less dressy look. I'm not a fan of black but you could make/buy a more zhoozhy top to brighten it up a bit.  :)
ETA this is all the reasons that I hate going to dos.   :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 08:44:07 AM »
Thanks - that occurred to me in the night while I was trying to picture it in various ways!  I've also just discovered that the invitation says Smart-Formal (eek!) so dressy it has to be.

I have found a skirt that looks as though it would go with the bird top, and as it's already made I have time to order it with next day delivery and return it if the blue is wrong.  It probably will be, but if it's right it would be so easy!  If that fails, it's the black skirt.

So, first job:  get skirt ordered.  Second job, ferret around in the bottom of various wardrobes checking exactly what shoes I own.  Last time I did that I found a perfect pair for the event in question, with no memory whatsoever of buying them.  You never know!

I do at least have a smart coat (grey).

snoozi soozi

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 09:34:52 AM »
Why not wear the bird top with your black skirt....I doubt anybody would even mention or ask you about it. What does it really matter anyway, I pair things together that probably a lot of people wouldn't even wear in their own home, I consider it slight eccentricity. If I do catch anybody looking I just look right back at them, it's amusing.

Years ago I once - only once - left for work one morning in a black shoe and a navy blue shoe, I had an identical pair to match up with black skirt and tights or navy skirt and tights. It was in winter so was dark when I was getting dressed and I didn't notice until it got lighter. Nobody said a word but I was mortified, I was about 20, see how you relax with the advancing years  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »
I don't generally take any notice of the rules that say certain colours don't go together, but black and navy is a combination I'm not comfortable with (although I'd have no hesitation for a family party!)

I have ordered the blue skirt, it's due tomorrow.  Forgive the very clumsy mock-up picture, but here it is:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Of course I am nowhere near the size of the skirt model, but it gives the general idea...

I have also found my much-loved blue suede court shoes, but as I last wore them in 1990 they're probably not going to work (feet-wise).  They're also not the very dark navy - but if they fit without hurting I can overlook that.

Now, handbag...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:56:24 AM by Acorn »

Missie

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 09:53:05 AM »
Why not wear the bird top with your black skirt....I doubt anybody would even mention or ask you about it. What does it really matter anyway,

Oh my, I am hyperventilating at the thought, but then I am a bit matchy-matchy  0_0 ;) :P

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 10:01:58 AM »
That makes a lovely oufit Acorn and the shoes will be fab!  I always feel more dressed up in heels.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.