The Sewing Place

Heeelllllllppppp!!!!! Advice needed.

Greybird

Re: Heeelllllllppppp!!!!! Advice needed.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 10:08:26 AM »
That looks lovely - I hope you're going to post a picture of the actual one with shoes?

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 11:51:47 AM »
Well the blue suede shoes are off the list.   :(  The heels have started crumbling!  Well, it is 28 years since I bought them, and it's probably just as well because although they still looked lovely, they really, really hurt, and I'm not good at pain for beauty's sake...

I am very tempted by these, although I'm not sure I could cope with heels that narrow (limited feeling in feet means lack of knowledge of whereabouts the ground is...)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »
Block heels seem 'a la mode' lately Acorn.  Or what about a wedge - I love wedges....

Well, in truth, I just like shoes!  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 12:04:20 PM »
Well I did find these, but they are only wide and not extra wide.  That might be OK given the style.

The late, lamented blue suede shoes had those heels that go in and then go out again, so they were elegant but had a reasonable amount of contact with the ground.

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 12:14:19 PM »
Are Van Dal shoes any good to you? They do go up to EE fitting. You quite often see them unworn on Ebay.

Kad

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »
Hotter do an elegant shoe with heels that 'go in and out again'. The design name is 'Donna' and standard and wide fitting available. They're British made and the delivery service when I ordered boots in December was very good. I've only just discovered Hotter as my granny wore them so I'd associated them with old and sensible, they may once have been but not nowadays :)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Elnnina

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 12:58:32 PM »
I will second a beige skirt or trousers to go with your bird print.  A few years ago I happened to spot some lovely  black fabric, a sort of silky polyester print the print was roses in blues, greys and beige, then I found the beige fabric and the two together looked absolutely stunning, people in the shop were commenting on how lovely they looked together.  Then I spotted some grey and again that toned in well with the bits of grey in the rose print.  The idea was to have the roses print as a top, and the beige and the grey as trousers  to go with the top.  In fact I went back to the shop and then cleaned them out of what they had left of all three fabrics, with the intention of making a sort of floaty coat thing in the rose print as well and lined with plain black as at the time there was a Sandra Betzina pattern around that sort of imitated my rose fabric.

I am sure you will find something that will go beautifully with your bird top – that is beautiful in its own right, and given more time you can probably find some plain fabrics that will pick up the colours in the birds so you can have a lovely mix and match  skirts/trousers to add to your wardrobe.

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 13:24:27 PM »
I do like Hotter's Donna, but unfortunately they don't come in navy blue, and my experience of Hotter is that their EE fit is quite far removed from their EEE fit, so I wouldn't risk it (I also know that if you have to return anything you have a lot to pay in postage, and they take a ridiculous length of time to refund what's left of your money.)

Van Dal - my Nana used to wear them!  I'd be quite happy with them - they have a lovely pair of midnight blue suede wedges in an EEE fitting, but they are £75 - and I may not wear them again for years.

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 17:02:36 PM »
The skirt has arrived and it's very nice.  Slightly darker than the top background, but that's fine.  I'll make a couple of tweaks to it tomorrow (of course!) but it's just down to the shoes now.

sewingj

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 17:19:42 PM »
Have you tried Debenhams? I had wide shoes from them for daughter's wedding

BrendaP

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 17:50:37 PM »
How about tan or cream shoes to go with that outfit?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 18:34:39 PM »
No, I think navy ones.

Acorn

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 18:45:42 PM »
I have ordered a pair of navy suede sling back wedges.  (Sling backs are much less likely to rub and easier to keep on, I'm less likely to fall off wedges even though they are 2.25 inches high - which is high for me! - and blue suede because I love it.) 

The straw-type-bit may may make them a bit too casual for this occasion, but I'll have to see how they look with the skirt when they arrive tomorrow.  I would certainly be much more likely to wear them again.

Kwaaked

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 20:00:11 PM »
Sounds like the suede had Louis heels.  Sadly, out of fashion right now, since they are one of the heels I prefer to wear.

One of the bad things about doing sewing as a job is I have to come up with new outfits for the things I attend...my go to is a navy shift and I can make a statement shrug if I run out of time for the whole thing.

Don't forget jewelry.  Even if the shoes and outfit is slightly more casual then you may want...accessories can always bring it up a level.

Acorn

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 20:19:16 PM »
I have dug out my pearls!   :D  They don't often see the light of day.  I must check that they look right with my top though.  They should sit above the neckline, which I think will look best because of the pattern on the fabric.

I have also been testing my perfume - I have a bottle of Chanel No 5 for special occasions, and I thought I'd better check it hadn't gone off, as I don't think I've used it more than once in the past 5 years.  It's quite strange, because my Mum has always worn it, so I keep thinking she's here somewhere.  I'm usually more of a Poison person myself...  :o