The Sewing Place

FBA on Butterick 6026

Holly Berry

FBA on Butterick 6026
« on: March 18, 2019, 21:17:41 PM »
I’ve done an FBA on this pattern. The dart is split between the neck and side. They are then sewn as 2mm pintucks, each one taking 4mm out of the dart, radiating from the side seam and neck, 5 in the side and 3 in the neck. Instructions for darts are the same for all sizes.

I’ve adjusted the lines for the pintucks, and the neck has worked perfectly but there is still surplus fabric in the side. Not sure what I’ve done wrong. I’ve now walked away and will retry the FBA again tomorrow.  Any ideas please?

TIA
Procrastination get behind me

b15erk

Re: FBA on Butterick 6026
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 09:05:15 AM »
I feel for you HB. Fitting isn't my forte, and I usually muddle through with something which is 'good enough'.

Hope someone comes along who can help soon.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 13:39:19 PM »
@Holly Berry What a great pattern! Have you got a pic showing the excess fabric?   My thoughts are: do you actually need an FBA?  Presumably, Yes.  Do you need to add another dart, to take up the excess which you then rotate? 

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 14:58:06 PM »
Watching you with interest. I bought the pattern without considering how I was going to do an FBA. I thought it was an nice variation on a shirt but will wait until I hear how you went on before I cut any fabric.

Holly Berry

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 19:19:12 PM »
Thanks for you replies. Unfortunately I do have to do a FBA of 5cm on each side. If I cut to fit my bust, it falls off my shoulders. I’m out tonight, so will post some photos tomorrow.

I’ve redone the FBA and have repositioned the pintucks. The fit is great it’s just the front side seam is longer than the back. I had a light bulb moment and wondered if I used the pintucks lines from the size 20, it might work better. If all fails the newly repositioned darts look in the right place, so I may either lengthen the side seam on the back or shorten on the front. Hope the sleeves aren’t going to be a problem  -<

I’m determined to get it wearable as the toile looks good.

Holly Berry

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 15:24:25 PM »
Have redone the FBA and repositioned the pintucks and the fit is till the same, so happy with it.

It’s still longer at the front, by the amount I adjusted for the FBA. I will just lengthen the back as I quite like the length at the front.

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 17:22:36 PM »
Blimey, well done! I'm suffering brain-fade just thinking about it.