The Sewing Place

Unpick or adapt?

Pearl

Unpick or adapt?
« on: March 09, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »
When I got the Mystery quilt out earlier this week, I found that I had made the blocks which make the central star using the wrong four patches in some parts and with the patches in the wrong orientation in others.  So... should I undo them and make them again properly or adapt the pattern to use the blocks I've made, as in the pic?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 09:40:15 AM by Pearl »

Iminei

Re: Unpick or adapt?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 10:08:36 AM »
Depends on your taste.

In the pic below you have laid it out so the grey spotty fabrics flow from corner to corner throughout the quilt as I guess the purple squares should have ... but theres no hard and fast about it.

If I recall, you ran out of the purple fabric so remaking the inner 4 patch in the star might be problematic if theres a problem with the unpicking ie you rip through the batik ..... but it looks fine with the grey flowing through as it would if the purple did.

If you did choose to unpick; you would only have to unpick the 2 big HST's that form the points of the star and turn the 4patch block to the correct orientation ie with the purple square nestling in the corner of the two HST's .. The big Cross blocks just need to be turned so the purple flows along the diagonals

Its horses for courses! Your choice entirely

If it were me; I would! The amount of work required is not that much for the result gained ...
tho the grey colourway looks fine to me too!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 10:10:36 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »
Thanks, Imi.   I think you're right.  I do have some more of the purple fabric - not enough to make the bigger sized quilt but enough to remake a couple of blocks if necessary.  DS1, who took the photo, said it looked fine, but he's a man a boy not a quilter.  I think I would  notice it wasn't right every time I looked at it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 11:30:12 AM by Pearl »

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 11:56:10 AM »
Keep it as it is.  It's always good to put your own twist on any design to make it 'yours'.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 12:21:03 PM »
Thanks, Brenda.  Valid point but - too late.  The central star is now in 16 pieces. 

I will make the design my own by adding more borders.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 13:00:03 PM by Pearl »

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 13:12:42 PM »
Too late to contribute but love the colours Pearly
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Holly Berry

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 14:26:04 PM »
I’m too late too, but as someone who dabbles in patchwork, mainly dressmaking, I wouldn’t have noticed anything wrong.

A phrase I like is “it’s not a mistake it’s a design feature”
Procrastination get behind me

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 14:52:57 PM »
I like that expression too, @Holly Berry , but I'd know it was really a mistake and it would bother me. 

The good thing about trying to finish UFOs is that I can see how my approach to patchwork has changed.  Now I'd have lots of labelled plastic bags and a notebook with details of the fabrics and blocks.

The colours on the photo are rubbish; it's much brighter irl, @Lowena .

ETA - I have unpicked the blocks I did wrong, placed it out on the floor correctly and discovered that I preferred it the way it was.   I might just put it away for another year.  :'(  :'(  :'(   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 16:18:05 PM by Pearl »

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 18:45:57 PM »
I'm not a quilter so can't really comment but I know what I like and I like that and quite honestly I can't see what's wrong with it. Be proud