The Sewing Place

Calling Northern Ireland

wrenkins

Calling Northern Ireland
« on: March 20, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »
I saw a van yesterday with "madaboutfabrics" on it and as I didn't recognise the name or the logo I Googled it.
Turns out it's the new (to me) name for the Cotton Print Factory in Dargan Crescent, Belfast
I thought they only did curtains so I stay well away...just in case.  :S Turns out there's a picture on or near their website and they now have a craft section!!!
This afternoon, on my way home, I will take some sandwiches and a flask and, for research purposes only, I will wend my way off the motorway and do a reccy!
If you know already why didn't you say?!?!?! and if you don't know already...I'll tell you!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

snoozi soozi

Re: Calling Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 13:27:34 PM »
This afternoon, on my way home, I will take some sandwiches and a flask and, for research purposes only, I will wend my way off the motorway and do a reccy!
Well I don't know what we'd do without you, you lovely little busy bee you  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 13:29:31 PM »
....the sacrifices I make.  :angel:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 20:53:25 PM »
@wrenkins  are you still researching?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 06:51:56 AM »
Unfortunately, like all the best plans, they hit the skids! I'll try to get in today.
It doesn't sound like a big deal but to the best of my knowledge it's one of only two shops in the entire Province catering for quilters and crafters; well three now according to @hernibs  who knows of one somewhere in the middle but that's an hour away from everybody!! (Cept her  0_0)

aprilla

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 09:43:42 AM »
I understand the anticipation. I have no fabric shops closer than 60 miles, and then it's mostly geared toward curtains, like yours. For thread, pins or elastic it's about 20 miles with limited selection.
But!!! there is a new Haberdashery opening within 6 miles of me and I am so looking forward to it. I've got no idea what they will carry but even to get a bit of elastic or sewing thread without a journey will be a bonus, but I'm hoping for more. The sign says Opening in March, it's got to happen soon :)

I hope you enjoy your adventure (bring bags!!) LOL
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:45:42 AM by aprilla »

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 10:19:42 AM »
I will not bring bags! That way lies bankruptcy!!!  :o

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
WOT no bags?   :o

I have visions of you coming out of the shop wreathed in fabric and habby falling out of your pockets... :) :)

Made me smile!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 10:28:38 AM »
WOT no bags?   :o

I have visions of you coming out of the shop wreathed in fabric and habby falling out of your pockets... :) :)

Made me smile!

Jessie

You've been spying on me! How I don't get lifted for shop-lifting I'll never know. My pockets and arms/hands are like a jumble sale when I leave shops.
Once I did a lil bit of shopping. Not a week's worth but more than I should...kinsidrin I was on my motor bike. I forgot and just went wandering willy nilly impulse buying.  :| Shredded wheat boxes are really big!  0_0

hernibs

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 10:33:52 AM »
I had heard that name Wrenkins but associated it, also, with curtaining.

https://www.haberdasheryandfabric.com/

The above link I came across in Ruth Forrester's blog 'Corecouture' - I imagine you already know of her....she's in Belfast - think she teaches dressmaking..or teaches something.....well known blogger and makes great clothing.  Her blog has been a bit scarce of posts recently but it makes for great reading.  I trawled through her blogs to find it.
Not been to this shop - somewhere in Belfast - do more research on it's site to find out where it is.

aprilla

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 10:42:33 AM »
I found this youtube video for the Cotton Print Factory, Belfast
Now I want to go. I'll have to do another drive past my soon to open Habadashery :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:44:09 AM by aprilla »

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 10:42:58 AM »
OOoooooooooo that used to be a dedicated quilting shop but it closed down. I think the girl still does long arm quilting somewhere but I'm a loooong way from that kind of finesse.
That's another wee stop I'll have to make but that requires a bit of a detour so I'll wait till I'm going to the dentist...or maybe not.  ;)

fajita

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 16:39:32 PM »
I will not bring bags! That way lies bankruptcy!!!  :o

You don't needs bags. You just buy an EXTRA piece at the end, big enough to knot, Dick Whittinton style, around your purchases.  :wool: :fabric: :vintage: :snip: :pin: :thread:

snoozi soozi

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 16:49:22 PM »
You don't needs bags. You just buy an EXTRA piece at the end, big enough to knot, Dick Whittinton style, around your purchases.  :wool: :fabric: :vintage: :snip: :pin: :thread:
You're a dangerous woman  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

toileandtrouble

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 21:23:23 PM »
"You're a dangerous woman"
But I like you!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m