The Sewing Place

Calling Northern Ireland

Mocarroll

Re: Calling Northern Ireland
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 20:59:37 PM »
@wrenkins and @hernibs and anyone else hailing from the province...if you are planning to visit hab and fab store on the Cregagh Road, Belfast, check out The Paragon Store at number 2.  It’s been there since forever.  I’ve been exiled for over 40 years and used it way back.  It’s still there and a great place for cheap fabrics.  South east Belfast, Co Down side.

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 21:40:14 PM »
There's a Paragon on Donegall Pass too (different brother I believe) but last time I was in it was all fancy dress type stuff. Lots of pink and blue shiney Lycra.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

hernibs

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 22:23:29 PM »
Yes, I knew about the Donegall Pass Paragon.   This was pre-internet.... I found that it was so hard to find things as it was a bit of a muddle along with it being fairly cheap and cheerful.... that's ok if you are looking for just that. Mocarroll, do you remember the fabric shop which was in the building which used to be the Northern Ireland Electricity Showroom?  Their fabric was classy and pricey! Guessing here that Wrenkins may be too young to have shopped there.
I'll maybe get to Hab aNd Fab some day.

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 06:32:46 AM »
Oh that that were true @hernibs. It was on the corner of High street and Bridge Street. Just where my bus left me every morning!  :S
There is/was another Paragon over at Holywood Arches but I've never been in it. I would imagine it's more of the same. Mostly tat.  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Mocarroll

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 22:23:11 PM »
Was it called the Spinning Mill or Spinning Wheel?  Probably out of my league if it was classy/pricey! We were spoilt for choice with Robbs, Anderson McCauley, Robinson Cleavers, lots of places to park your bum and browse the pattern books.

hernibs

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 23:45:08 PM »
No, Mocarroll it wasn't any of those...I cannot remember the name of it at all....and yes, those were great days when you could have a seat and rest your legs and browse.....but then you know you didn't get an offer of 50% off patterns like one does now on SewDirect.