The Sewing Place

Seeking Some Strange Stuff for Cuffs

Sandra

Seeking Some Strange Stuff for Cuffs
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »
I've been asked if I can replace the cuffs on a casual, sports jacket...but I've never seen anything quite like this before.

This shows the outside of the sleeve...

And this shows it from the inside. The line you can see about half an inch down is where the elastic is double...like fold over elastic, but this then becomes three-quarters of an inch of single elastic.  :S

The jacket is made of a single layer fabric, and the cuff elastic is split to encase the cut edge. The one cuff has been damaged where he's tried to scrub some paint off it.

I've tried Macculloch and Wallis...they sometimes have some odd items, but with no luck. I'm wondering if simple fold over elastic would do the job, but this will depend upon the sleeves being a good length with three quarters of an inch missing... -< ...possibly. It's not too much to lose. I'd have to check with him.

I wondered if anyone on here has ever found any of this stuff.

Thanks,
Sandra.
xxx

toileandtrouble

Re: Seeking Some Strange Stuff for Cuffs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 12:16:47 PM »
I might be tempted to use ordinary wide elastic and a bit of bias across the inside edge of the sleeve.  Even ordinary elastic would be hard to find in blue.  Would black look terrible?
Just looked and see Abakhan have something called "waistband and cuff elastic" in several colours. It has an ungathered strip to attach to the main fabric.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:19:45 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 13:01:51 PM »
It looks like something which may have been made specially for a particular brand.  I've not come across anything like it.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 13:48:44 PM »
Ooo errr  :S  It's Ralph Lauren, so, yes, it probably has been made especially.

I've ordered a bit of the fold over stuff in navy blue, and at least it looks like I'm trying. He's a decent chap, so I want to try and do my best for him.
He's our plumber, and he's always been very generous to us when we've needed stuff doing.  :)

Sandra.
xxx