The Sewing Place

Bamboo

Silver Rose

Bamboo
« on: March 21, 2019, 15:43:30 PM »
Just got home from Norwich  and as well as the buttons, zips and lining I bought a lovely rose coloured linen like bamboo fabric for a summer skirt. Has anyone sewn this? It has a soft and lustrous feel but behaves like linen.
Still learning

snoozi soozi

Re: Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 16:51:56 PM »
I've never bought any as I didn't know what it's like. Sorry that doesn't help you @Silver Rose but I'm curious how you get on
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 17:12:03 PM »
I've had a RTW bamboo top and really liked it, also knit a lot with bamboo and cotten blend yarns and found them strong and silky.

I will be very interested to see how you find this fabric.

Fiona M

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 17:20:21 PM »
I have only sewn bamboo jersey, but it’s my favourite fabric.

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 18:44:23 PM »
Just remember it is a rayon, and you'll have to take care of it as if it was one due to shrinkage.

Other then that, it sews just fine.  Not quite as easy as real linen, but just about.

Missie

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 11:33:00 AM »
I've not sewn with bamboo but I have knitted with it and it was beautiful, looked a bit like cotton.  Very soft with a lovely sheen.  DD had a nappy made out of bamboo and that was great as well.  Its a lovely fabric with anti-microbial/bacterial properties.  Haven't seen any fabric for sewing with though and be interested to hear what you think.

Samantha

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 12:01:06 PM »
My youngest was given a small (20x20cm) bamboo silk snuggly thing when she was born. She LOVED it, took it everywhere, we called it the manky blankie, she caleed it 'frat'.  We had to by a spare, and another spare. After the third one was lost I decided enough was enough at £20 a pop but I can see why she was so attached to it as it was (when new!) so lovely and soft.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 12:06:08 PM »
Sea Salt do lots of bamboo tops. They are very nice to wear
Triumph of hope over experience :D

hernibs

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 19:12:42 PM »
I have only sewn bamboo jersey, but it’s my favourite fabric.
Could I ask where you got this bamboo jersey....I've been searching for linen jersey and this might fit the bill.
Thanks.

hernibs

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 19:30:22 PM »
Just went to The Fabric Godmother who does offer linen jersey but it's striped - gee, I am wide enough!!!

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 07:19:25 AM »
Thanks for all your comments, I was particularly impressed by the silky softness of the bamboo, I have plans to make a long 8 panelled summer skirt with the fabric.
Still learning

Fiona M

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 10:10:46 AM »
Could I ask where you got this bamboo jersey....I've been searching for linen jersey and this might fit the bill.
Thanks.
It’s a while since I bought it.  I can’t  recall where I got it now, but dragonfly have a few shades https://www.dragonflyfabrics.co.uk/product-category/dressmaking-fabrics/jersey/bamboo-jersey-fabric/
If you do a google search I’m sure you’ll find stockists of other colours.  Mine was a bright green!  Lovely fabric to wear, soft and comfortable in any climate.

hernibs

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »
Thanks - I'll have a browse through that link.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »
Love bamboo.  Nice to wear. 

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 14:11:21 PM »
Lovely to wear and doesn't harbour pongs. I chuck MrCs  woven shirts in the machine on cool and then on a hanger. No ironing.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !