The Sewing Place

Disappearing 4 patch

Sheilago

Disappearing 4 patch
« on: March 22, 2019, 22:08:06 PM »
Just started my first attempt at a disappearing 4 patch quilt. After finishing my PL monochrome and bright quilt, I was looking for a nice pastel baby quilt design. I’d never heard of this pattern. I’d seen disappearing 9 patch , but not 4. I love the plaid effect of this and it looks misleadingly complicated.  :D Also it’ll be good for using up my stash of pale fabrics that I hardly ever seem to use. I’ve decided on pale grey, lemon, turquoise and lilac. Hopefully suitably gender neutral for a friend’s expected first grandchild.

Iminei

Re: Disappearing 4 patch
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 07:44:48 AM »
Awwwwww C'mon Shelago ... play the game!!!

You know the rules ... pics, pics, pics please! :)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »
Oops sorry Imi! 0_0 I actually thought about pictures, but only have 3 blocks done so far. Here is the inspiration   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  . Mine will be different colours and mainly nursery fabric.

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 22:00:11 PM »
Finally finished the disappearing 4 patch for my friend’s little grandchild due in the summer in Norway. I’ve just realised the colours are more Swedish than Norwegian, but that was unintentional! Got the binding hand stitched tonight at my knitting group - it’s always better to have a good chat while doing something so repetitive  :D

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 22:06:03 PM »
That's lovely - the design (not the colours!) makes me think of the Norwegian flag, in a lovely subtle way. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 00:55:03 AM »
It's really beautiful - those colours make it sing. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 08:36:13 AM »
Swedish?? Norwedish ???

Myeh! Its beautiful Sheilago x

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 08:41:10 AM »
@Sheilago
Lovely Scandinavian quilt!

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:45:07 AM »
You’re right @annieeg, I hadn’t spotted that similarity. Had to look up the flag on Google. Wonder if they know their flag is a disappearing 4 patch! :D

NatalieSews

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 13:59:23 PM »
Finally finished the disappearing 4 patch for my friend’s little grandchild due in the summer in Norway. I’ve just realised the colours are more Swedish than Norwegian, but that was unintentional! Got the binding hand stitched tonight at my knitting group - it’s always better to have a good chat while doing something so repetitive  :D

That is gorgeous!
I want to make my friend a baby blanket for her daughter for her birthday in august and I have just found my inspo!

<3

Sheilago

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 22:08:41 PM »
Thank you @NatalieSews . Delighted to be your inspiration- I really enjoyed making it. Have you found instructions on how to cut the blocks? It’s so simple, but looks quite complicated.

NatalieSews

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 15:31:49 PM »
@Sheilago Not really, does youtube count?

Sheilago

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 19:48:18 PM »
Hi, @NatalieSews . This is the tutorial that I used. Hope it’s of help. Look forward to seeing yours when it’s finished :D

https://materialgirlquilts.wordpress.com/2013/05/09/disappearing-four-patch-a-tutorial/amp/

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 14:30:03 PM »
Nice tut!