The Sewing Place

Looking for a pocket

WendyW

Looking for a pocket
« on: March 22, 2019, 22:21:58 PM »
My granddaughter (almost 3) has requested a dress with pockets. I found this dress and really like the look, but I've never made a pocket like this. Can anyone direct me to a pattern of this type, or a tutorial? Or even just give me some guidance on the order of steps necessary.

https://mybabydoo.com/kids-dresses-11/

Goth Gardiner

Re: Looking for a pocket
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 00:13:12 AM »
It may be my bad eyesight but are those actually pockets?
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

WendyW

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 00:52:35 AM »
Now that you've made me look closer, they may not be. Might just be tabs of contrast at the waistline. But I want to make them pockets. Hmmm. This might require some inventiveness.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 07:19:40 AM »
You could do it as a single welt pocket.  The front pattern piece would be cut with extensions on each side.  You would slash along the pocket line then gather the extended piece and make the pocket as normal.  The side of the pocket would be set into the seam line.  I haven't explained that very well but I can picture it.
The only issue I could envisage is bulk - in the side seam and the bottom of the welt with the gathers but perhaps in a lightweight fabric it wouldn't cause too much problem.
Life's too short for ironing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 09:05:16 AM »
@WendyW A rounded gathered pocket would look nice on a girl's dress, it has a straight band at the top  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »
Yes, what Ploshkin said. 

The front is cut as one single piece with a slash on each side so that it can be gathered.  I think on the illustration the yellow is just to cover over the seam but you could insert a pocket bag so that the front of the pocket is attached to the gathers and the back of the pocket to the bodice.  Use a thin fabric for the pockets.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 09:25:46 AM »
Thank you Brenda, that's exactly the picture I had in my head - I didn't think to draw it  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 11:47:21 AM »
How about treating it as a pocket in a side seam?  Two separate bag bits sewn in?

WendyW

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 00:29:34 AM »
THANK YOU @BrendaP and @Ploshkin! That drawing and explanation are very helpful!

WendyW

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 02:42:49 AM »
Today I was ready to start figuring out my pattern for this. I an effort to preserve fabric I decided to play with a doll dress pattern first. Went digging in my pattern stash to find something suitable and found the exact design I wanted to create! So, my 18" doll has a new dress, and I learned how to make my granddaughter's dress. I'll start on that tomorrow. It's the yellow dress on the pattern envelope.

Simplicity 4347

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 07:55:16 AM »
You must have the patience of a saint making dolls clothes, all those fiddly bits of fabric. Hope your Granddaughter appreciates all the effort you have gone to to make her a dress. 
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

WendyW

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 01:20:10 AM »
Finished it! Per my daughter's request, it was supposed to be a "play" dress rather than a "church" dress, but apparently I'm not capable of making an adorable fabric into a not-dressy dress. Cute fabrics just demand pretty details.  However, I'm also half-finished with a top and shorts set from the leftover fabric.

The dress got a lining on the front bodice to help take some stress off the fabric where the pockets attach at the front. The pocket bag is flat on the back side, and the front is gathered at the top and bottom to give it room for toddler treasures. The pockets are sewn into the side seams.

Sparkle unicorns by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 08:19:18 AM »
That is just lovely @WendyW. And room for a snail collection too. (Don't ask  :x). I think 'church' would be happy to see it too.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Nevis5

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 08:35:36 AM »
Gorgeous @WendyW  !  Lucky granddaughter :)

SkoutSews

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 10:03:10 AM »
Very pretty little dress, the pink edging details are a good addition, they really lift the whole thing.