The Sewing Place

Is this the right place ????

Iminei

Is this the right place ????
« on: March 25, 2019, 09:07:33 AM »
Hi there Accessorisers,

after finding myself taking some handsewing into strange places over the last two weeks I am thinking of making a simple thingymy to carry my couple of needles, thread, scissors etc instead of wrapping them in a scrap of fabric as I have been and hoping for the best ...

Has anyone any ideas for a simple pattern  for such a thingymy ???

linky in case of invisibubble pics
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

Re: Is this the right place ????
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 09:44:51 AM »
This might be a bit more complicated than you are wanting but is ideal for those with an inclination to the darkside.
https://verykerryberry.blogspot.com/2016/09/liberty-portfolio-case-tutorial.html

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »
Sounds to me like the perfect project for a spot of machine embroidery on the outside  0_0

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 10:55:13 AM »
I made a couple of kits for non-sewists last year.

For myself the little 'sewing kit' which I take to craft club is just a few bits and bobs shoved into a small plastic 'Lock and Lock' food container.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 12:04:39 PM »
This one is not as complicated (no zip) and has storage for scissors and thread reels:
http://lotsofpinkhere.blogspot.com/2011/09/travel-sewing-kit-tutorial.html

There is also a patchwork version if you so desire:
http://lotsofpinkhere.blogspot.com/2011/10/12-gifts-of-christmas-blog-hop.html

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 17:12:11 PM »
How are those spools  of thread being held? with a ribbon? nice idea, but how do you incorporate into the overall design??

Thanks girls, plenty to muse on ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 18:26:00 PM »
Seems to me that the tape/ribbon is through the middle of the spool and tabbed down at the bottom with hook and loop. I suppose you could put it anywhere.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 18:30:44 PM »
In both patterns a narrow folded piece of fabric is used as the spool holder. In the Liberty pattern the end is held in place with a press stud and in the other pattern a small piece of Velcro is used.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 19:41:49 PM »
I found a zip up wash bag in one of the £1 shops, it was actually 2 for £1 which I couldn't resist as they were very well made and despite not knowing what I'd use them for. They finished up as 1 for sewing bits and bobs like scissors, snips, chalk, pencil small reels of thread and needles, the 2nd one I keep cable needles and crochet hooks in. I couldn't have made them for 50p each.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 19:57:01 PM »
I bought four of these
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Kwaaked

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 20:10:20 PM »
I make needle books to test out beading before I use it on ring bearer pillows.  Here is one that is the basic idea of what I use...I use my own pattern, but they are basically the same the world over.

I'd offer to send you one, but mine may be fancier then you really want with satin and beads.

Editing to point out: for all the fancy stuff I tend to do, my own sewing kit is an Italian Military one.  Nothing fancy and rather ugly.  This is it, although I paid much less much longer ago.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 20:13:27 PM by Kwaaked »

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 20:18:57 PM »
You're all very organised...  -<

I looked at your picture, @Iminei, and thought how nice your roll looked.  You could hem the fabric and use a hair scrunchie instead of an elastic band!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 21:34:06 PM »
I use the cases spare leads for mechanical pencils come in (Pentel tiny type, not Staedtler biggies) for sewing needles.  Darners are in a presentation case that once held a fountain pen and still has its satin and sponge bed so they stick in.  Bodkins are in a screw top plastic clinical sample tube (it's what they came in when I bought a batch cheap off Amazon - about 50% are so badly made they trash the thread/yarn, but that's what you get from Chinese budget offers).  They and anything else I need at the time are stored in a freebie make-up bag from Clarins or Clinique or some such.

I'm not a fan of over-engineered thingummys myself (too much of a fouter) so this type of solution is quite organised enough for me!

Kwaaked

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 22:02:09 PM »
Lacis.com has a lot of good ideas and things you didn't know you wanted.

I have one of the silver needle case with the positive latch I wear all the time on a longish chain.  Always have a needle on me...and don't have to worry where I've put one.  I also am busty enough that when I need to tuck it in and not catch it on something, it'll nestle in my cleavage.

cbcarolyn

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 00:04:10 AM »
Hello - I am new here :)

I made myself an normal needlecase with felt 'pages'.  But before fully constructed I added a 'strap' one end in the seam and the other end I added a snap fastener and in the loop I feed my embroidery scissors through it.

I then added a pocket to the inside one side closed by a snap fastener again.  The pocket is big enough to take a couple of bobbins, and these are how I carry cottons around, rather than a big spool.  Made it years ago, out of cheap fabric as a test, with the intention of doing it in nice fabric. 

I also close it with a snap too.  just use the Kam type fasteners.  But have done hair ties and buttons also.