The Sewing Place

Lap quilt

Didi

Lap quilt
« on: April 10, 2017, 10:37:40 AM »
Well having done the mystery quilt block and Aprils block of the month I decided yesterday to use some of the fabrics I had originally bought for the mystery quilt and not used to make a lap quilt
I found a pattern on the web and started cutting and sewing yesterday. After a few oops moments - anyone need 41/2 squares !- I finally got the last seam of the main part sewn this morning now I need to do borders and quilt it -<
My only previous attempts at quilting have been straight lines I may try some free motion - maybe  :D

I need to do some tidying up and ironing now so prob won't get back to it today but I'm only in work tomorrow then off for a fortnight so should have some time between prepping the downstairs cloak room for tiling / decorating and feeding the family at Easter

Lowena

Re: Lap quilt
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 10:51:37 AM »
That's gorgeous Didi and such "on trend " colours. I  <3 it
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »
That's great Didi, a real surprise when I clicked on the thumbnail and the patterns on the fabric sprung to life.
What size will it be?
Life's too short for ironing.

Didi

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 13:02:00 PM »
Thank you, at the moment  it's about 32" square so depends how much of a border I put on I am thinking quite a wide one but will see. Some of the points are a bit dodgy and you can see which ones I did first - I got better as I went along  :D
I did decide half way through that half square triangles are the invention of the devil they are so bendy 0_0

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 13:14:54 PM »
I like hsts, at least I can cut them with my Sissix  :D

maliw

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 18:02:24 PM »
That is lovely, I like the fabrics.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lantana

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 18:12:27 PM »
Didi that's really lovely, gorgeous colours!
And about the dodgy points that you mentioned mmmm I hadn't noticed them so went back for another look, I can't see them and I've looked very hard!  :)

L :vintage:

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 18:22:43 PM »
Oh Im so pleased those beautiful fabrics haven't gone to waste!

Bravo Didi, Bravo

and please can someone tell me whats wrong with quilting straight lines on your walking foot???

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Didi

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 18:34:29 PM »

and please can someone tell me whats wrong with quilting straight lines on your walking foot???

Absolutley nothing especially when it is as beautiful as that.

I suspect it will be mainly straight lines with the walking foot but I do feel I should at least try to use the free motion programme on my machine  :D maybe something in the middle square, although I will be practising first and if it doesn't work out then straight lines it is

Lantana

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 19:13:28 PM »
Absolutley nothing especially when it is as beautiful as that.

Isn't it just! Very impressed Iminei. To my eyes that looks every bit as good as FMQ.

Have fun with yours Didi!

:vintage:

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 00:20:37 AM »
Love the fabric ( and the quilting's not bad either  :P :D )