The Sewing Place

Jenna Cardigan

Ploshkin

Jenna Cardigan
« on: March 27, 2019, 11:34:56 AM »
Just a quickie after the jacketing marathon.  I've used this useful pattern once before.  Fabric is from Stoff & Stil.  They call it French Terry - I would just call it sweatshirt fabric.  It has a brushed back.  The bottom band & cuffs are cut from a piece of ribbing.  I only finished it on Monday and have nearly worn it to death already.
The fabric is pretty wide.  I had 1.5m but got this out of just over 0.5m so have about a metre left.  I'm hoping it's enough to get a sweatshirt from.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

Re: Jenna Cardigan
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »
That looks a good and useful top @Ploshkin .

Off to investigate the pattern, just hope they make it big enough for me.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 11:50:00 AM »
How is it fastened @Ploshkin ?  Are they poppers?  I`m a bit scared of them since trying once and not being able to put them in successfully!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 11:54:00 AM »
@sewingj you could always use the sew in poppas then sew a button on the top!

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 12:17:41 PM »
They are Prym snaps @sewingj I was scared of snaps for ages after a disastrous attempt with ones from Amazon but from a recommendation on here I got some Prym Vario Pliers & Prym snaps and have never looked back.  I actually got a set with the pliers and various types of fastenings & rivets.

By the way, I have just cut out a sweatshirt from the remaining fabric!

Ros

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 17:12:16 PM »
Thanks for the tip re quality snaps. I've been pondering about these for gardening shirts given how buttons tangle in the fruit netting horribly. Other alt is smocks of course.

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »
@Ploshkin   is this the kit you bought for the Prym Vario Pliers?  There seem to be cheaper packs but I don`t think they include everything you might need

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prym-Sewing-Vario-Special-Press/dp/B00CYRRS4S/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1HA5H0VWDH6JB&keywords=prym+vario+pliers+kit&qid=1554279469&s=gateway&sprefix=Prym+vario%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-6

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 09:35:58 AM »
@sewingj  Yes it is.  Initially I found it very confusing because the various instruction leaflets are pictorial and I couldn't make head nor tail of them.  But I found a Prym instructional video on You Tube - no audio but it made sense and I could understand how to use the bits.  I then realised that the attachments you need for each type of fastening are adjacent to those fastenings in the box.

Missie

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 09:55:33 AM »
They call it French Terry - I would just call it sweatshirt fabric.  It has a brushed back. 

French Terry fabric is a knitted front with a backing that is looped rather than "fuzzed"; think Terry towelling so I would say that you are correct.

Lovely jacket by the way and love the fabric.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 12:36:31 PM »
I did wonder @Missie if it's to do with the type of knit that makes it terry.  I don't really know how to describe it but it isn't a single jersey knit like sweatshirt fabric usually is.

I've now made a sweatshirt out of the remainder of the fabric with the navy ribbing for the cuffs and neck band so that was a good buy from Stoff and Stil.

Sewingsue

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 15:02:20 PM »
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 13:41:28 PM »
I have just whipped up another cardigan from this pattern (the last one has been, and is still being worn more than anything else).  I used French Terry from Stof and Stil again but it couldn't be more different.  It's quite a heavy weight and I would describe the back as almost felted rather than brushed.  It has very little stretch in either direction - I probably should have cut a size bigger - it's not too tight but without the stretch it feels tighter than my other one.  My overlocker laboured a bit chomping over seams.  I didn't put a cuff on this time, mainly because of the fabric thickness.  I just turned up a single hem on the sleeves.  I had my wits about me (unusually) and did the buttonholes before I attached the band.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 15:53:49 PM »
I like that...off to look at the pattern.

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 08:27:44 AM »
I missed the original post in this thread - two great cardis and of course :) I've had my eye on this pattern for ages so thanks for the prompt. I can't quite believe you got that first one out of half a metre @Ploshkin . Magic trick or what!?

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 09:12:26 AM »
@Vezelay if you do use this pattern, I found the armholes quite small  - I reshaped them and the sleeve heads using the Lark tee pattern pieces which I know are right for me.