The Sewing Place

Tied tulle tutu!

sewingj

Tied tulle tutu!
« on: March 27, 2019, 15:48:47 PM »
Aplogies if this isn`t the right place for this.
I`ve just heard about tied tulle tutus and reckon it would be an ideal project for when I see my 5 year old grand-daughter at Easter.  This looks like a dead easy tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AClxhwSGjGQ

I`ve already got several rolls of sheer organza left over from decorating daughter`s wedding venue.  I presume this is much the same as tulle?
The rolls are about 12 inches wide ( x 25 metres) so I was planning to take the organza off the tube and some how cut it in half widthwise and then  cut it into strips.

Any words of advice or guidance?

maliw

Re: Tied tulle tutu!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 20:19:22 PM »
I made one for DGD's 3rd birthday a couple of weeks ago. I bought some if this
https://www.abakhan.co.uk/haberdashery/elastic/elastic-pale-pink-74-40mm.html
I cut 1" wide strips and 22" long to give a length of just under 11". It took a lot more tulle that I thought- almost 1 metre, using the holes in the elastic I threaded every three holes for two rows. Very easy to make so it will be easy with a piece of elastic. Not sure about organza, does it fray?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Missie

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 11:09:06 AM »
I did them for DD's school nativity and they are so easy.  If you have fabric, cut it into lengths that are double the length of the skirt and then fold in half, in, in half etc until it is about 4".  then cut strips off the folded fabric.  I would go for about 3 inch strips so that when it is tied on, it gathers slightly.  Then tie a few strips onto elastic.  Can't remember how many I used in one tie, but fold in half, put behind the elastic and pull the tails through the loop.  Don't pull then too tight as you will stretch the elastic.  You can also tie in ribbons and other strips etc.  For ours, we had white tulle with silver ribbon as the girls were snowflakes.  Very effective.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 12:23:05 PM »
Thanks both.  I think I will have a dummy run - and at least cut some strips -  before grand-daughter gets involved so I know what I am doing!

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 16:47:46 PM »
I helped to make a set of these a while ago for the dance school. They looked very effective.

I can see your thinking but I think you may quickly fall out of love with the organza idea @sewingj - it would need to be cut on the bias to avoid it fraying away as it's pulled through the holes. The cut edges might make your hands sore after a while too. Tulle can be a bit stiff but isn't bad when it's cut into narrow strips.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Missie

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 09:53:22 AM »
I helped to make a set of these a while ago for the dance school. They looked very effective.

I can see your thinking but I think you may quickly fall out of love with the organza idea @sewingj - it would need to be cut on the bias to avoid it fraying away as it's pulled through the holes. The cut edges might make your hands sore after a while too. Tulle can be a bit stiff but isn't bad when it's cut into narrow strips.

Ooh well-spotted @Marniesews .  I didn't clock the organza bit, so my instructions for cutting are completely wrong as I was thinking it was tulle!

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 10:18:40 AM »
The organza I've got doesn't seem to fray much so I will try with that. I've got several rolls of it sitting doing nothing so I'm reluctant to buy anything else - especially as this is likely to be a five minute wonder as far as granddaughter is concerned!

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 17:58:39 PM »
I used tulle left over from DD'S wedding. Cut strips as @Missie said then knotted them onto elastic.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 20:33:04 PM »
@Lachica , that girl knows how to rock a dress.  Those wellies finish it off to perfection!

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 07:51:28 AM »
Haha, they do!! Nice that she's wearing it. It was made as part of this costume:
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.