The Sewing Place

The Greatest Showman - Trapeze

b15erk

The Greatest Showman - Trapeze
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:11:46 AM »
A little last minute project was sprung on me the other night for Lilya's visit to Disney Paris at Easter - I wish I was going, DD has planned a lovely trip for them all.

Lilya absolutely loves gymnastics and dance, and the Greatest Showman was the theme for her dancing schools show last month.  But, none of the costumes included the trapeze lady's beautiful purple costume.

Time being short, DD bought the leotard, so the challenge is to bling it up!

I've added two pics, the first is what I have to work with, the second, a suggestion from DD. 

Going to put some ideas on paper, using what I already have, and some tulle or netting that I can hopefully get from my local fabric shop later.

I think I'll be bringing the Hotfix tool out of retirement....  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

Re: The Greatest Showman - Trapeze
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 09:23:49 AM »
If there was a 'Best grandma in the Universe' award it would be yours Jessie.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 12:13:57 PM »
Im yet again completely astounded by the clothes you keep making for Lilya ...
She must be the best dressed lil girl in her school!

Does she and her mum realise how lucky they are ???

Just googled this and lots of pics came up,

including lil girls in dress up outfits ... We will be seeing Lilya there soon methinks
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:17:28 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 12:43:37 PM »
Just been into town (fabric shop), and bought a large lycra metallic remnant, some purple voile and chiffon, and purple ribbon.

Was thinking of sequinned net which they have, but thought it may be a bit scratchy round the leggys…

Well chuffed with my haul!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
Nearly there!  To make life easier, I cut up the sides and crotch of the leotard.  It made applying all the embellishments so much easier.

The extension sleeves weren't as fancy as those on the picture DD sent me - I couldn't get the right fabric, but I may try to put some gems on later if I have time.  Neckline was relatively easy and the lycra was good quality so played nicely.  I found a roll of organza in the stash which was a perfect match, and I used it with glitter net to trim the sleeves and legs.  They don't hang well - I think a body will improve the look.

All sewed back together, but not overlocked in case any alterations are needed.  I've made a little half skirt for the back, but that needs the waistband attaching and I was too tired last night.  I would like to make a cape, but I really don't think I'll have the time.

What do you think? 

Jessie

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »
Lovely! Lucky GD, I'm sure she'll love it.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:23:35 AM »
Another resounding success!

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 09:26:50 AM »
She really is a lucky girl to have such a talented and creative grandmother! :)

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 09:35:08 AM »
Now that's something to make you smile on a Monday morning!   :D  Fantastic!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 10:44:18 AM »
Just lovely Jessie.  I'm sure it doesn't need a cape.
Life's too short for ironing.

fajita

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 10:44:55 AM »
 :toast:

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 12:40:07 PM »
She'll be the belle of the  ball !!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 03:23:21 AM »
She'll be really thrilled with this...and swinging from the lampshades if you're not careful!  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 09:01:36 AM »
Finished!

I overlocked the top of the half skirt (don't know what else to call it), but the o/locker didn't do a very nice job.  :(  I didn't want to unpick it, because it would have been really difficult and probably would have ended up looking worse. It's on the inside so...

Then hand stitched the sequinned elastic belt thing in place, and did a running stitch down the middle to make it secure.  It was then time to join the belt at the front and add the large jewel.

What a job!  First I had to melt the ends with a lighter to stop it fraying.  I then overstitched to join, and glued the jewel over the join.  I secured it with wonder clips and waited until this morning to make sure it's on securely.

Yay!  All done! Now fingers crossed that it doesn't need altering...

Not brilliant pics, but I'll try to get some on my live model tomorrow.

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 09:09:34 AM »
Jessie, will you be my grandma please?  (We can just ignore the mathematical impossibility of it.)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.