The Sewing Place

The Greatest Showman - Trapeze

Elnnina

Re: The Greatest Showman - Trapeze
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 10:03:53 AM »
Oh Jessie, that is beautiful, what fantastic colouring - just shows what you can do with all the bits and pieces of trim etc.  I am sure Lilya will love this - bet she won't want to take it off.

Sewingforfun

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 12:23:47 PM »
Wow! That's stunning!! Lucky Lilya, and what a clever and talented granny she has!
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

maliw

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 12:28:20 PM »
That is fantastic, well done and inspite of everything that is going on around you - a means of escape????  I hope they all have a lovely holiday and lucky Lilya.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 12:33:27 PM »
Thank you for remembering Mal!  Court date is tomorrow, got to be out of the house at stoopid o' clock to get the train.

It's been good to have a distraction that's for sure.  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 12:37:22 PM »
Take care Jessie, fingers crossed for you all tomorrow.<<<hugs>>>
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Missie

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »
Jessie you are just the best grandma ever.  Lilya is a lucky girl.  The costume is fab.

Good luck today xx

annieeg

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 11:57:08 AM »
Great Outfit, Jessie, and your GD will qualify as the Greatest Showperson when she wears it! :D
(Hope goes well for you. xx)
Annie

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 09:07:04 AM »
Well, I've got meself all muddled up!  This outfit isn't for Disney Paris, it's for Lil's birthday in May, which is the Greatest Showman theme!  ><

But, because of this, I find I have a little time to try to make Theo, a Ringmaster Jacket.  DD has looked, but most Fancy Dress seems to start at 4-5.

I don't think it will be too difficult.  I'll have a quick look for a pattern, but if not, I can play around with the coat pattern I used for the Poppins Return coat.  I've already found a few yards of red satin fabric, and I've got loads of gold trim.

TheGreatestShowman

Wonder if I'll manage it?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 10:49:18 AM »
Wonder if I'll manage it?
You always do Jessie and I've no doubt it will be spectacular
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »
OK, on with the Show!

Back home on Friday night, but it was Sunday before I managed to start Theo's costume.

I used the lovely Simplicity 4762 (thank you @Stitches ) as my base, and cut out the first toile.  I reduced the width a tad, and took quite a bit off the length as it will have tails attached.

More shaping to do yet, but atm I'm feeling pleased with my efforts.  I do need to draft a sleeve  :S, so I'll be looking at some YouTube vids for assistance.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received, so feel free with your comments!

I'll also be making Lilya a cape, from crushed velvet and stretch gold lining - what was I thinking!  ;)

Both items to be ready by next Wednesday for the Greatest Showman party!

Great Fun!

Jessie
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 09:55:34 AM by b15erk »

b15erk

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2019, 09:10:08 AM »
I have managed to get much of this done, but I'm waiting for final measurements from DD before setting the sleeves in, and attaching the tails.  It may be possible to attach the bodice lining, just to get ahead, we'll see.

So, I've decided to bite the bullet, and cut out the crushed velvet Trapeze cape.  :S Any tips?

I've attached a pic of the wip, please don't look at my disgraceful ironing board cover, it is on the to-do list - honest!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2019, 09:44:05 AM »
Third time lucky.  The Internal Server Error demon has struck, and keeps losing my messages.
This one will be typed on Word and I’ll try copying and pasting, because it’s tedious writing the same thing over and over.
Well, not much done yesterday, best laid plans etc.  Work has been busy since Monday ☹
I did manage to get the cheap shirts for Theo’s shortcut shirt though.  Two for £2.50 and 100% cotton too.  I buy a larger size, then cut the seams off instead of unpicking, bling it up, and then re-do the seams.  It worked very well for Lil’s Trapeze leotard, and it’s only dress-up after all.
I also made his Bow Tie.  Best one I’ve done, but then this morning, I noticed that the bow band had been sewn on with the wrong side of the satin facing. ☹ But, working on the theory that a Blind man on a horse would be glad to see it, I’m leaving it as is, and only re-doing it if I have time.

Jessie

SkoutSews

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »
These are going to look amazing, I love the ringmaster outfit. 

'Blind man on a horse....' - I'm going to use that!  There are plenty of suitable opportunities when I'm sewing.

Marniesews

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »
Those children are going to love these! You've been so productive too, sometimes my wip just seem to drag on before all the details are done and I'm retired! That blind equestrian can rest assured he'll not be the only admirer.

I love that figure of speech, think it's new to me too. It's yet another thing I miss from living up north, particularly in the 50+ generation. You have to find local folk in rural areas down here to get anything like that richness of language but sadly it's fading everywhere. I can definitely see him riding around the Showman's circus ring.  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Greybird

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2019, 11:17:52 AM »
@Marniesews - it isn't only from the north that these expressions come. My Cornish family, when trying to cut something with a blunt knife would say "you could ride to London on that!" From the Surrey branch, when black clouds are looming comes "it's looking black over Will's mothers!"

Sorry @b15erk that's not what your thread is about! looking forward to seeing him in it.