The Sewing Place

The Greatest Showman - Trapeze

b15erk

Re: The Greatest Showman - Trapeze
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2019, 11:26:58 AM »
@Greybird , that's why I miss my old Aunties.  They all had their own sayings, and I used to roll my eyes when I was a little girl, but these days, I find myself using lots of the old words.

My Godmother had a lovely word, and I use it a lot - it sort of suits me.  It's  'tranklements' sounding the 'e' in the middle.  I keep all my sewing tranklements in my sewing room!  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sandra

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2019, 16:58:39 PM »
Love Theo's outfit, and how cute is that bow-tie  :loveit:

Tranklements is also a word familiar to me...my mum uses it. We also have, 'gooin' black over Bill's mothers', (I'm Black Country  0_0),  regarding a darkening sky.

And, I worked with a lovely lady when I first left school, and she used to say, 'A blind man on a galloping 'oss'd be glad to see it...'

Sandra.
xxx

Marniesews

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2019, 23:45:55 PM »
No, you're right @Greybird  but sadly they're less common everywhere and although it's pretty rural where I live you don't hear many local idioms here, I've heard more East Anglia way.

In my youth it was always 'dark o'er Will's mother's' (Bill's cousin perhaps), 'we're short of nowt we've got' (which you can't argue with)  and the galloping horseman featured in a few sayings I seem to recall.

The most appropriate for your makes @b15erk is a bag of bobby dazzlers!  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

b15erk

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »
Good progress last night.  Cape cut out, waistcoat fronts sewn onto shirt, and sleeve cuffs finished. Phew!

So, I'm on course to finish both items for Lilya's birthday party on Wednesday.

Until, I get a phone call off DD this morning - Theo has Chicken Pox!  :o :o  It will be touch and go if the party will go ahead, or if people will cry off in case of infection.

Bum!!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
Poor little Theo!  But it might be an attraction as some parents like to get chickenpox out of the way earlier rather than later.  I've heard of 'chickenpox parties' being arranged?

Marniesews

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2019, 11:31:14 AM »
Awwww!  Isn't that just the way with children's illnesses. They seem to come with an inbuilt schedule of greatest disruption.

Just seeing those costumes will cheer him up I'm sure.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

b15erk

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2019, 11:36:07 AM »
I've got my fingers and toes all crossed.  Lilya will be so disappointed if her party can't go ahead!

Not too bothered about the costumes as both children go to lots of parties, and these days most have a 'theme'.

Just hope poor old Theo hasn't got many 'pox'...  Poor ole sausage!

Jessie

Greybird

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2019, 11:38:57 AM »
I think the infectious period is only 3 or 4 days isn't it? If he already has the spots perhaps it'll be over by then?

b15erk

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2019, 11:47:44 AM »
GB, I said that to DD, but she said that a lot of parents panic, just in case their little one picks the virus up.  It was my understanding, like you, that when the spots came out, the worst of the infection was over. One week coming, one week spots, one week going.

May be an old wives tale though...

I suppose if you have 2 or 3 children, and have to work, a children's party is low on the list of priorities if it means children having to be kept off school/nursery with illness.

Jessie

fajita

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2019, 14:11:49 PM »
I thought the chicken pox spots are contagious until they have all crusted over.

Shame about the party though.

b15erk

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »
Went round to DD's on Sunday for a family birthday dinner, and took the finished costumes.

The Ringmaster was finished - even did a cummerbund in red.  But, it needs alterations :(

The sleeves at the wrist are a bit too tight, and the body doesn't fasten comfortably - he's a big boy! 

So, in time for Theo's birthday in July, DD has asked if I can do the alterations.  I think the easiest way is to take the sleeves out, and replace them.  The chest alteration will be fiddly, but I'll take off the poppers (thank goodness I did sew on snaps, and not buttons), and the (stuck on) buttons, and put some sort of strap fastening in place. The T shirt worked a treat, and DD loved the idea that it was all sewn on.  We couldn't try the whole outfit on as the poor little chap was very uncomfortable with his chicken spots!

I also managed the cape to go with Lilya's Ann Wheeler (trapeze) costume.  Just a half circle, lined with the same gold as Theo's waistcoat, but rather more fiddley than I expected - or maybe it was just me making a meal of it.  No pics of this yet as I'm waiting for DD to send me some.  Lil was delighted and had to be immediately transformed!  I don't envy her mum styling the pink wig!  :S ;)

So, the pictures I've attached are just the two of Theo's finished costume (minus cummerbund).

Jessie

Sandra

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2019, 09:36:49 AM »
OMG, Jessie.  0_0  That's just fabulous.  :loveit:

Ugh! Pity about the adjustments.  :(

Sandra.
xxx

b15erk

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2019, 09:43:39 AM »
@Sandra , it's not so bad really.  The sleeves are unlined, so hopefully, I can just make new sleeves, and they will drop right in - that is in an ideal world obviously  ;)

The front fastening is a bit more problematic, but do-able.  The one reservation I have, is that the buttons are glued on  :\ because the shank didn't sit nicely  :S.  I think I can cover it with a bit of bling though... :\

Looking forward to having a picture of him in full costume!

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »
Could you fasten it with frogs so that the edges meet rather than overlap?

It is gorgeous, BTW!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2019, 10:15:29 AM »
Brilliant again Jessie!