The Sewing Place

The enticing pretty pictures

Gernella

The enticing pretty pictures
« on: March 30, 2019, 14:56:10 PM »
I'm afraid I am all about pictures and if I like the picture (sewing of course), I sort of look extra hard and try visualise on me.  Most of the time it comes out right, other times I discover that certain necklines don't suit me, or full skirts. 

Anyway earlier in the year I had seen a nice pattern for a jacket and thought that it would suit me I'll buy it for later, procrastinated, as usual, then discovered that the website had vanished and was being redone following opening of the ladies shop.  I kept tabs on it and now the website shop is back, but the pattern wasn't on.  Since it was one of her own I asked and was told she had just not round to putting it on and it would be put back on, which she did so of course procrastination had to take back seat and I bought.

It came this morning, (ordered yesterday).  No flat jiffy bag but a box and inside another fancy box (wrapped in pink tissue paper) and inside the pattern pieces and instructions.  After 20 plus pages for the  Waffle Tosti I now have the equivalent of 4 A4 pages, with not much in them.  I think I'm going to think about getting my brain into top gear or I'm stuffed.

https://www.sewwardrobe.co.uk/product/sew-wardrobe-honey-jacket/
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewingsue

Re: The enticing pretty pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 15:04:46 PM »
Oh that is a smart jacket. I see why you went for it.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 16:15:18 PM »
I like the collar
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 10:25:12 AM »
So do I @Iminei, I've recently bought a Vogue pattern with a similar collar, but I'm not keen on the back of the jacket, this one ticks all the boxes, for me. 
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lisanne

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 11:00:40 AM »
Thanks Gernella for the news that Sew Wardrobe patterns have minimal instructions  :(
As they’re by Alison Smith and her instructions books are excellent, I’m very surprised.  Perhaps she expects you to have one of her technique books !
https://sewingplums.com - opinions on wardrobes, patterns, fit, pattern alterations
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - mainly for my own use, links to good on-line tutorials
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/lisannebainbrid/ - boards for pattern collections and style elements

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 13:32:14 PM »
Actually @Lisanne they are not even 4 A4 instructions the sheet is a bit of a strange size.  I've done a few jackets in the past so I suppose it will be straightforward as long as everything is marked out.  The only thing that might cause a sweat is the jetted pockets.  I have done them once before using the Palmer Pleitch method.  There again if you like good instructions you might panic.

I don't mind buying technique books if they are any good.  I did buy a Claire Shaeffer one but sent it back, not enough in to interest me.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 14:55:04 PM »
@Gernella a  jetted pocket is the same thing as a welt pocket isn't it?  I did double welt pockets for the first time on DH's jacket.  After looking at various methods I used the very detailed instructions in 'Jackets for Real People' and they really were very easy.

I'd be happy to scan the pages and e mail them to you if you don't have the book and would like to have a look.
Life's too short for ironing.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 15:15:18 PM »
Thanks @Ploshkin, I do have printed instructions although I've just ordered an old copy of one of their books which probably has more.  From what I can see the jetted are a sort of a slim jim version of a welt.

Clareew

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 22:39:11 PM »
I  like the design of the jacket but I don't think the jacket in the photo is very well pressed.  I am surprised it is an Alison Smith pattern.  I will keep an eye out for reviews because i love the look of the jacket.