« on: March 31, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
There is some really good advice on using a coverstitch here
NB. The Elna Easycover is identical to the Janome the author uses

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 11:39:51 AM by Acorn »
Life's too short for ironing.

Holly Berry

Re: Excellent coverstitch information
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 11:30:32 AM »
Can’t see the link, it’s saying URL can’t be shown.
Procrastination get behind me

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 11:40:43 AM »
The link should work now - it had an extra http://
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 11:50:22 AM »
Thank you both. Have book marked to read later.
Procrastination get behind me

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 12:14:55 PM »
Thank you Acorn, I usually avoid doing links on the kindle, I was in a rush.
Life's too short for ironing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 13:57:12 PM »
That looks very useful  @Ploshkin. Thanks for sharing the link.

aprilla

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 15:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the link @Ploshkin
I'm 90% decided to invest in a coverstitch machine and reviews like this are really good, appreciate it.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 06:55:02 AM »
I love my coverstitch machine but only use it for hemming knits, so always interested in the topic.

I have the Janome 1000 CPX and have managed to break the bobbin holder thingies on the back, so now use it with freestanding ones. That works fine actually and was a cheap solution.

aprilla

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 08:25:23 AM »
@SewRuthieSews - or anyone - Do you ever use yours with knitted fabric - that is, fabric knit with yarn rather than the bought knits like jersey? I think it's called sweater knit but could possibly be a little thicker than the usual commercial offerings, depending on yarn used. I have a knitting machine and have been wondering how the coverstitch machine could work with fabric made on it, if at all.

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 09:03:06 AM »
I've used mine with a sweater knit without problems. Mine wasn't handknit so I used a swatch to practise on first to get the tensions right. Maybe you could knit a couple of small pieces on your machine so you could do the same.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Morgan

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 09:16:35 AM »
@aprilla
I have used both the overlocker and coverstitch to sew light and medium weight sweater knit fabrics, bought and made on a (standard guage) knitting machine.  I've also sewn a couple of hand knits.  On the coverstitch the single needle chain stitch can be very useful for seaming hand knits with finished edges.
On both the overlocker and coverstitch I prefer to use woolly nylon / polybulk thread in the loopers.
 On the knitting machine I tend to use the finer yarns and they can work well in the looper instead of the woolly nylons as long as it's smooth and not a boucle style (same goes for the overlocker loopers). 

The fine and lightweight knits can be overlocked and coverstitched just as you would stretchy lycra style knit fabrics.
Fine looser knits you treat as you would any mesh type fabric.
This cardigan is one I made from a fine lightweight sweater knit fabric bought from Fabworks
This boat neck pullover is a looser sweater knit that is more like a mesh, bought the fabric from Minerva

For thicker, spongier and looser knits then use things to help you like tearaway stabiliser, water soluble stabiliser (WSS), Gloop (made from WSS scraps), tapes and elastics. 
Play and practise with the settings including foot pressure settings and the differential feed and stitch length settings.  Use up your swatches and if you don't have any, pick up some old or ugly pieces from a charity shop and use those. 

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:25:04 AM by Morgan »

aprilla

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 20:45:34 PM »
Thanks @Helen M, I'm glad to hear this. I'm just looking for those last little bits of information to tip me over the edge into commitment instead of just hovering around the idea of getting one. Knowing I might try using it my own knits really helps.

@Morgan, your garments look so well finished, I'm really impressed. OK, so despite my imagination the coverstitch won't make knits less stretchy but it can be used in a useful way. That suits me nicely, I can deal with that.
That's really interesting tip about using thin yarns in the looper, and the chainstitch... thanks so much.

I've been visiting a Janome 2000CPX for ages, just hovering around the buy button. I bought my Janome sewing machine from the same place and have been very happy with it... I think it might be time to commit.

I really appreciate all the information, I've got a lot of possibilities swirling around in my head now.
I'll report back.... soon (maybe) ;)

edited to add: I bought some double needles for my sewing machine to try out before making the coverstitch investment. Mentally I'll feel better if I know I've tried this as a method first.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 23:38:34 PM by aprilla »

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 11:13:22 AM »
Aprilla, I've never had a satisfactory result using twin needles to get a 'coverstitch effect' hem so don't let a possible bad result put you off getting a coverstitch machine.

It's not a machine that you will use all the time but look at it as having a machine that will give a better finish to the garments you make. In the same way when I bought my overlocker in 1989 it was to give a nice finish to hems on skirts, trousers and dresses that, being only 5' 1", I always had to cut fabric away from. It was the same with my husband's trousers which always needed that 1/2" extra cutting away. My overlocker has paid for itself more than once in the cost of alterations etc that have been saved.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

StitchinTime

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 11:16:55 AM »
I'm another one who can't get twin needles to work properly for a coverstitch type hem - I always seem to get tunnelling, even after adjusting the tension. Perhaps I should try using a stabiliser, but it would probably be just as quick to get out my coverstitch machine instead.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 12:47:58 PM »
I’m another that doesn’t like the twin needle on a sewing machine.  I always tell people not to bother.  If they haven’t got a coverstitch machine I recommend using a triple zig zag stitch for hemming.  It’s quick, lays flat and stretchy which is what you want on a jersey.