The Sewing Place

Singer 99k handcrank

Bogwoppit

Singer 99k handcrank
« on: March 31, 2019, 15:01:40 PM »
I did a speculative bid on a well known auction site and a little singer came to live with me. Yesterday my husband helped me sort out the bobbin winder and get the bobbin cover to sit flat, today I had a tinker with the top tension as it wasn't doing anything useful at all.

Still needs some adjustment but worked well enough for my eldest to have a go. He said it was very calming.

I'll be watching more YouTube to improve it.

Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

snoozi soozi

Re: Singer 99k handcrank
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 16:53:29 PM »
Oh that's gorgeous, it's the one my mum had  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 17:42:19 PM »
Great machine. I have one  :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

KayK

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 20:29:30 PM »
Lovely little machine, perfect stitches and lots of attachments available to play with - have fun!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 10:23:12 AM »
Oooohhhh @Bogwoppit exactly the same happened to me few weeks ago. She was delivered last week and I named her Arabella, still need to take a pcture, gorgeous little machine.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 10:29:50 AM »
I have one too, but mine is electric. Lovely machine, and so quiet!

Must get it out for a bit of a run.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Radiofan

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »
Agreed, a great little machine. Mine is a motorised version, with the hand crank bits as an option. Currently set up for hand cranking. I also have the zigzag attachment.

Such good value, I keep meaning to use it.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 14:14:33 PM »
@Radiofan, talking about attachments, I finally gave my buttonholers a run on one of my Featherweights - beautiful buttonholes.

Radiofan

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 14:56:37 PM »
@Radiofan, talking about attachments, I finally gave my buttonholers a run on one of my Featherweights - beautiful buttonholes.
Ah yes, I have the 86718, everything adjustable, definitely better quality buttonholes than the built-in options of many model of machine. Nice rounded corners, though most of the time, I couldn't be bothered to get it out.

Pam11

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 16:12:47 PM »
I also have one...it's such a lovely machine to look at I'm actually thinking of having it as an ornament come used machine in the living room as I don't have the room in my hobby room, I use a janome with a stop/start button as I have no strength in my legs. I also have another Singer hand crank that I haven't sorted the tension out on yet. Hubby comes in useful as he can maintain and do anything mechanical the machine needs

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 05:27:49 AM »
Meet Arabella, my new to me Singer 99K hand crank. She comes with a beautiful bentwood lid, was born in 1936 and sews like a champ.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 09:05:52 AM »
She is beautiful.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Radiofan

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 09:37:46 AM »
Welcome Arabella.

Mechanically speaking, the 99 is one of Singer's simplest and most rhobust designs. Very little to go wrong on it, these machines will be going clickety-click for a very long time.

Also, the metal finishing in the 30s is of a better standard, if only they applied the luxurious decals of the earlier 28/128K.

I find hand cranks a joy to use, makes one wonder why modern machines are stiff to turn by hand.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:39:31 AM by Radiofan »

Bogwoppit

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 12:22:40 PM »
 I spent some time yesterday playing with the tension on the 99. Got a good range but raising the foot didn't release the tebsion.  Had a look round at the resources on here and found some great stuff.

Today, another play and it works properly!!! Yippee!

Going to make some pot holders to celebrate. My husband moaned the two we have were mucky, then he moaned at me using a tea towel when they were both drying on the line. I nearly left his tea in the oven.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 13:15:01 PM »
Pot holder in progress. This machine is so much fun!