The Sewing Place

Are you a purist with your vintage machine>

Sewbusy

Are you a purist with your vintage machine>
« on: November 24, 2019, 13:56:02 PM »
Curios to know what others think and do with their vintage machines to continue using them today.

Who searches for and waits to source genuine parts and accessories, who utilises generic items, whatever they can to enable them to continue using their machine, e.g. adaptors for pressure feet, screw on or clip on? Rufflers, binders and such like?

Many of these after-market and 'universal' fittings are far more inexpensive than genuine and original items and obviously much more readily available.

ETA What gem would you love to find?

Interesting being a purist can be costly and time consuming.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 13:57:33 PM by Sewbusy »

sewingj

Re: Are you a purist with your vintage machine>
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 15:57:17 PM »
On The Repair Shop last week there was a beautiful old Singer - not being repaired - the leather expert lady was using it to stitch a bag. She said "this is Pearl - she can be temperamental"

Kwaaked

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 17:41:18 PM »
I am and am not at once. 

My Singer #3 is an antique, let's forget just vintage.  It is so old, Singer has asked for photos of the machine and several sewing machine dealers/repair people have come by to look at it.  No, it is not rare.  There's quite a few, and the Singer #7 is the more modern version...but they were worked to pieces.  On this machine I have had a part machined...so it's even beyond generic.  And the cup to hold the parafin?  it's an old coffee grinder cup that fit.  Right era, wrong type of part.

Generally, I can find parts.  Helen Howes is always a good source (and in the UK) among many so I can usually find genuine parts for the more common machines I have.   Even making a back clamping 66 treadle to a more common side clamp doesn't need new, replacement parts. 

But then again, my featherweight needed a new bobbin winder and I bought a new aftermarket and not original because original was almost as much as I paid for the machine and the aftermarket was $20. And if I can find a Union Special 43200g in a price I can afford to spend, most of the parts would have to be machined since there are almost no original ones on the market at all.

This is just repair.  Actual use is whatever works.  I have original attachments that I use: I have many different ages and styles of button hole attachments, zig zag attachments, blind hemmers, feet...you name it.  Some are from the late 1800s and some are snap on feet with a new modern adapter and everything in between.  My home machine was made in 1927 and has a permanent gadget that changes stitch length and makes it go in reverse added during WWII and most of the feet I use for it is from an 1888 puzzle box.

My oldest machine in use is from 1893, I bought a brand new one in 2017.  The other machines I use regularly are from every decade in between.

TL;DR: I can be a purist when it suits and is easy to find, but generally I would rather have working machines that do what I want then worry about the age of the items.

Other then the Union Special, I'd like an industrial cover stitch, an industrial button hole machine and a real industrial dressmakers treadle (95, 96 or 31).  If I could find the last, I'd get rid of my Consew I work on now.

Roger

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 20:49:39 PM »
I'm a little bit purist.. part of the enjoyment for me is trying to get the machines back to as close to showroom as I can (not especially close), disposable items like belts and cables I'm happy to replace but a lot of the notions and attachments are just better quality if theyre vintage.

Machines I'd love - err I'd love a 316 - a 320. and maybe a 531 (a natty freearm slant shank thats still a mostly metal build but does chain stitch. would I be allowed these? errr nope... and of course a 301 in beige 2 tone.... and a Lotus 66....
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Rhapso

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 11:40:43 AM »
I'm generally practical but I would love to find (incredibly cheaply) a Singer two thread embroidery attachment, called a Simanco 35505.  They seem to be like hen's teeth but a real thing of beauty -

Here in all it's glory

Could there be someone out there who could retro-engineer them?  I'd be first in the queue!

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 11:46:10 AM »
I'm not too precious about my machines, they are all to be used, but I don't abuse them.  I do like to keep them nice and clean, but if they look as if they have had a hard life, well, they probably have!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.