The Sewing Place

Singer 99k handcrank

arrow

Re: Singer 99k handcrank
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 21:27:00 PM »
I should make a pair of pot holders too. I used to have a single red pot holder with a sort of pocket that made it very handy, the hand slipped in easily into it and were insulated. I haven't seen any like it for ages, I guess it's one of those things we have to make our self. What type of batting for pot holders?

You have sorted it all out now, but when my old 99 didn't release tension it was cause by very sticky old oil at the bottom behind the face plate. There is a lever tilting back and forth, it has to be clean and only a bit of clean, fresh oil on the metal parts.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 23:57:11 PM by arrow »

Bogwoppit

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 23:02:56 PM »
Cleaning out that bit was one of the things I did. Somewhere I read it's a build up of oil dripping down from other bits and very common.

I use my old ironing board cover and some quilting cotton for pot holders. Double thickness padding, an 8 inch square and a 8x5 rectangle. Layer and quilt both. Binding on one long edge of rectangle and then binding fixing the two together. One pot holder you can put your hand in or use as a mat. 
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

wrenkins

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 09:06:17 AM »
It is possible to buy 'thermo' wadding because I have some that I bought for my sister-in-law's table runner. Where'd I buy it??? Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe Amazon...  -<
How much is an ironing board cover? Probably cheaper and also a little bit genius!  8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »
I got some insulating stuff for the ironing board last year - from the Pound Shop.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

mums sewing machine

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2019, 13:53:33 PM »
Reading this with interest as I bought a handcrank 99k yesterday! She’s a bit tatty, but does sew. I have to sort out the bobbin tension tho... She was born in 1930, so I’ve named her Eileen after my mum who was born that same year and who taught me to sew  <3
No such thing as too much fabric

Lilian

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 13:58:09 PM »
@mums sewing machine I bought a 99k handcrank this year, she sews beautifully. You will enjoy it, so quiet I love it!  :vintage: :)
Willing but not always able :)