The Sewing Place

Tissue fitting

sewingj

Tissue fitting
« on: April 01, 2019, 14:32:17 PM »
Does anyone tissue fit? I've got Pati Palmer's books and can see it makes sense but find it impossible to do on my own. I can do it to a degree using my tailor's dummy but haven't been able to make her exactly my shape so that's not ideal.
I have pretty much given up now and rely on measuring the pattern and making toiles

Ploshkin

Re: Tissue fitting
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 15:30:57 PM »
No.  As you say it's nigh on impossible on your own.  I'll only check lengths and waist position with tissue as I am a bit in the short department.
Life's too short for ironing.

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 15:36:04 PM »
Sewing j, well I have a duplicate of my body made a good few years ago now, and she goes over an existing dress dummy stand  I closed her right down as far as she would go (if opened up stuff falls through the gaps).  On top of the original stand I wound layers of wadding around and around, and then covered this with a dry cleaners poly bag so my duplicate could be easily slid on or off.  However since my wrap was done, I sadly have put on more weight, so now I have padded my duplicate out.  In order to do this I have been messing about with a panelled sloper and knew this was quite a good fit on me, so I have padded her out and then put several old men’s  M&S thermal vests on top – these are brilliant as they are slightly ribbed, so it is easy to get straight lines in place.  I marked my centre fronts and backs with a contrast coloured tacking line – so easy to do because of the ribbing,   Over these tacking lines I have sewn some thick heavy string weights – the sort you find in the bottom of net curtains/shower curtains.  I have also found where I want the underarm seam to be so another line of weights, and I intend to also sew these weights down the shoulder princess seam lines, and across the shoulder seams – the reason for these weights is that you can feel the ridge through any fabric that is then put on top. 

So with the sloper pinned into position I was able to carry on inserting some wadding where I thought I needed it and made sure this made for a very snug fit.   Due to the layers of vests and wadding I have a super thick layer to be able to pin into and I can also then tissue fit, then make a toile in calico, tweak the fitting and hopefully this will then fit me.  My reasoning if I pin tightly onto my stand,  this is my ease.

On one garment I ended up with more than the norm vertical darts, started off with two in the back and two in the front, but it needed more shaping, so I pinned in yet another dart between the original and the side seam, and it looked good.  When off the stand and I was transferring these markings back to my pattern, I thought I should straighten the second dart up, and I did, but that was wrong, it looked far better when it was at an angle and in fact this has given me a very nice back fitting.

I must admit I initially used any string weights I could get hold of, but I have now bought some really thick weights – not easy to find, but I got my current lot from Merrick & Day  in Lincolnshire – mail order and chose the heaviest/thickest one that they do.

With all the wadding on the original stand my duplicate does not move, and this really does help make a very solid stand to work on.  Why not give this method a try and see how you get on, hunt around and see what you can find, the wadding I already had for other things, and the vests had all seen better days and thus does not matter being used for this purpose, anyway no one is going to see what is underneath.  Sadly all my localish fabric/haberdashery shops have now gone so I am rather forced into mail order, and it took some finding to find this lovely thick string weight.

If you have a garment that is an excellent fit on you, why not try padding your stand out and covering this with something like a tee shirt or vest to hold it in place, and then put your excellent fit garment over the top and carry on stuffing in wadding where necessary  it might just work for you.

My dress stand is not a particularly pretty sight, at this very moment I have a very thin scarf draped over her to hide the horrible shape that is me.

Good luck and I hope this might help you with your tissue fitting and then real garment fitting.

Holly Berry

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 17:31:25 PM »
I always tissue fit as i have to alter virtually everything now :o however I do have a polystyrene window dummy which I have padded out.

My tip would be to buy some L shaped rulers so that you can measure width and depth, rather than just around you. You will need 2 people to hold the rulers as it’s impossible yourself, but they don’t need to have dressmaking skills, just the ability to hold the rulers steady. I bought carpenters ones off Amazon rather than dressmakers ones as they were much cheaper. You just keep padding out until the dummy’s measurements match yours. I bought a Craftsy course about making your own dress form and it’s been the best thing I’ve ever done.

Procrastination get behind me

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 17:39:43 PM »
No... I just make a toile and fit from there, I suppose it’s the same but the tissue is too fragile.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 18:18:25 PM »
Prefer toile fitting.  I like to see the way the fabric will behave with a pattern. But i don’t buy patterns and my pattern paper is quite stiff. 

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 09:55:58 AM »
Sewingj I was thinking of you during the night, may I also recommend a couple of the Palmer Pletsch DVDs, Full Busted by Marta Alto, and there is one that goes with the book Fit for Real People Basics., and these deal with tissue fitting.

The Full Busted one is really excellent and she used real people as her models, in particular there are two stouter older women and she is fitting princess line garments on them, and on one she actually changes the design slightly by incorporating a very small bust dart on the actual princess seam and this gave a much better fit for that particular model.  Marta also explains the difference between a princess line and a side panel.  On the Basics she deals with 'the more common alterations for bust, back, shoulders and sleeves'.

i managed to acquire some of the patterns that Marta was using on the Full Busted DVD, and with watching the DVD as I go along, I should be able to get the fit I want.

I use Book Depository for getting my books and DVDs, they come through very quickly and are very competitive in price.  I do not regret getting the DVDs at all, I find I can watch them here in my sewing room on my laptop, and stop/start as much as I want, rewind so I can go over it time and time again.  I find Marta is an excellent teacher, so patient, and it really is like having her in the room with you teaching you on a one to one basis.

May I wish you lots of luck with padding out your dress stand, and also then with tissue fitting.

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 11:30:22 AM »
Thanks @Elnnina and @Holly Berry for your tips for padding out a tailors dummy.  I will have another go though I fear that I have nowhere near as much patience as you! I`ve got the Fit for Real People Book aleady.  I tried to sort out my dummy last year and got the hips and waist pretty accurate but lost patience trying to get the bust the right size and shape and in the right place!  I`m actually small busted which brings its own challenges.
  Needless to say - since I altered the dummy I have put on weight so the bits that were right probably aren`t anymore!

Starryfish

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 11:58:40 AM »
I tried tissue fitting when I was working on getting trousers to fit, hopeless. Half a body is useless. You can't see the back and that is where my issues are. I made toiles, and took photos with a timer.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 12:25:49 PM »
I tissue fit when I'm using stretch fabric, the theory being that if anything is a bit wrong it gets absorbed into the stretch.  For wovens I make a toile.  I'm currently making some pants (woven fabric) and the fit issues are driving me bonkers!  I've undone most of the toile this morning so that I can go back almost to the start.  I'm determined to get it as close as possible.

Morgan

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 13:51:35 PM »
horses for courses is the case here.

The P&P version of a tissue fitting method is a 2 or 3 sstage process. Sometimes it's tissue fit and then pin fit (or tack fit) the real fabric to tweak, and other times it's measure & tissue fit, toile fit then pin fit (or tack fit) the real fabric for final tweaks.

I rather like tissue fitting and can do it solo.  I'm fortunate, because years ago I went on a weekend workshop run by Moley / Celia Banks and she walked us through all sorts of tips and tricks on how to do things solo.  Yes it does take more time than fitting the tissue with a sewing buddy, but so does all fitting things solo.  The idea is you find the way to make it work for you.  I think two full length mirrors is essential.  You have to be able to move one so that you can see the back without having to twist.

Frankly, fitting the tissue is only a small part of the process, and if all you use it for just gets you into the ball park of having an idea of which alterations you're going to have to make, well that's just fine.
Like anything it's all about the preparation.

What is more important, whichever tissue / toile fitting, or pattern alteration method you use, is being able to :-
understand the fitting order to follow;
recognise what the fitting issue is;
identify which pattern adjustment / correction is needed; and,
use your preferred method for making the pattern alteration.
[size=78%] [/size]

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 14:31:20 PM »
 :| Just realised that I had (with absolutely no evidence to back me up) confused Morgan with Moley.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Morgan

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 01:17:05 AM »
:| Just realised that I had (with absolutely no evidence to back me up) confused Morgan with Moley.

hahahaha,  never mind.  We are very different.
Celia on the right in the photo here
and Me in the head shot photo 9 with the light blue pullover
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 01:24:09 AM by Morgan »

Sewingsue

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 17:27:22 PM »
hahahaha,  never mind.  We are very different.
Celia on the right in the photo here
and Me in the head shot photo 9 with the light blue pullover
It was the board names that I muddled up  :|
I remembered the helpful posts by someone I later discovered was Celia (I had a whole stack of them bookmarked too  :( )
When I saw equally helpful post here from Morgan the 'Mo...'  confuzzled my tiny brain and I thought 'Oh, good, she has joined here'.

(Retreats to a dark corner)
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.