The Sewing Place

Hello to Those Who Sew, from Shetland

greenfrog

Hello to Those Who Sew, from Shetland
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:40:54 AM »
I, like many, am returning to sewing after going off piste and doing some heavy studying with the Open University. Now I've got that out of my system I'm revitalising my creative side and warming up the old hand-eye-sewing machine coordination which has been dormant for several years.

I used to make bridal wear and other dressmaking commissions but now I need to start using up the accumulated stash of fabrics that I squirrelled away over the years and make some nice things for myself.  I bought a Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0 with all the embroidery software and attachments about ten years ago and although I did some embroideries for wedding garments at the time, I never truly examined and mastered the vast scope of the machine's potential so now I am going back to page 1 of the manual to start all over again.  If anybody is familiar with this machine I'd be truly grateful for a chin wag some time.  No doubt that as soon as I get stuck (probably about page 6) I'll be posting a message on the 'machines' page!

I'm pleased to be here and look forward to some sewing talk in the future.   :sew:

wrenkins

Re: Hello to Those Who Sew, from Shetland
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »
A very good morning and a warm welcome. Come in and sit by the keyboard fire.  :drink:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:45:33 AM »
Hi @greenfrog, you’ll find a warm welcome and lots of knowledge here.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:52:53 AM »
Hi @greenfrog - I was looking at Lerwick on the weather map this morning and commenting about how I forget quite how remote the Shetlands are!  I like being fairly remote where we are, but you beat that any day!

There are a few of us who are obsessed with passionate  about machine embroidery.  Glad to have another one who is interested.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:11:17 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »
Welcome, greenfrog from another former OU student.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 13:21:23 PM »
Welcome greenfrog! Sounds like you've done a lot of sewing in the past and some special stuff too. Another OU graduate here, though it is now ten years since I graduated.  -< Where did that go?

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 14:31:16 PM »
Shetland?? Well that must be the furthest North (of the UK) Tsper yet?

We also have Lowena in Penzance, altho' not for very long as shes preparing to decamp in the immediate future.

Welcome to you Greenfrog and I hope you have fun within this lively and friendly community of sewists of all ages, areas and ability.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 14:38:24 PM »
Welcome to the sewing place greenfrog. Have a look around and get inspired, we’re also excellent enablers  :D

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 14:49:06 PM »
A big welcome from me too greenfrog!  Lovely to have new members, look forward to seeing some of your projects.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 15:03:36 PM »
A very warm welcome from me too.  :flower: (Wonders whether I'll be taking over the mantle of furthest-west-UK-TSP'er once Lowena has moved? :o)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 16:06:25 PM »
Welcome @greenfrog , look forward to hearing about your sewing - we love to see pics as well
Still learning

fajita

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 16:24:44 PM »
Welcome @greenfrog  :flower: :drink:

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 16:36:15 PM »
Welcome @greenfrog. It's not Shetland that's remote, is it? It's the rest of the UK that's remote from Shetland (including Orkney  ;) ).
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 17:27:28 PM »
Welcome to TSP @greenfrog

Yep, Shetland is about as far north as you can go in the UK, and I believe that your nearest railway station is Bergan in Norway.  I remember Lace Guild conventions from years ago when there was a map of UK displayed and everyone stuck a into it to show where they had come from. The lady from Shetland sometimes had to stick her pin into the frame or some other odd position.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.