The Sewing Place

Hello to Those Who Sew, from Shetland

Surest1tch

Re: Hello to Those Who Sew, from Shetland
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 18:46:37 PM »
Welcome from me too, we've got some members who do machine embroidery so there'll be many who can help you here. I haven't got one myself but must admit I'm tempted to get one after seeing some of the lovely stuff that can be done with one.
Hope it's not too cold for you up there, I've just seen the forecast

hernibs

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 19:24:18 PM »
Welcome from me too.  Machine embroidery - well, my version is freestyle on a basic machine with  zig zag stitches and straight stitches.....landscape etc......I love the 'machine' embroidery but could never afford a machine like that....nay, never.
May I challenge the 'furthest West' bit in the Uk?  I can?  Wrenkins and I are possibly as far West as one can get..(Wrenkins at the very limit) ..don't be forgetting Northern Ireland is still in the UK....at least it was on the 6 o'clock news!  Right Wrenkins?

wrenkins

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 19:50:25 PM »
That's right @hernibs. I've a suspicion @WildAtlanticWay may have us pipped though.  -<
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

hernibs

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 21:39:30 PM »
Whoops...indeed.... but  not in UK.....

wrenkins

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 21:43:16 PM »
Ha! Yep! That makes it definitely me.  :toast:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 22:08:01 PM »
Hello @greenfrog

Greetings from the west coast of Ireland - so quite far west but definitely not GB.

I wouldn’t have a clue where to start with machine embroidery but I did do a PG cert with the OU back in the nineties, so I can relate a bit.  0_0

Looking forward to getting to know you and your sewing a little bit more.

greenfrog

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 22:42:27 PM »
Thank you for all your warm welcomes.  Of course, Shetland is, actually, the centre of the universe and everywhere else is a mere satellite!  ;)

I'll post some pics as I progress through my re-education of my fancy machine.  Unfortunately I don't have images of most of the work I did before I finished working as a business. It was finish one task and move straight onto the next with no time for photos. I'll see what I've got and put a couple of pictures up tomorrow.

Meanwhile, goodnight everyone.

Kenora

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 23:46:12 PM »
May I challenge the 'furthest West' bit in the Uk?  I can?  Wrenkins and I are possibly as far West as one can get..(Wrenkins at the very limit) ..don't be forgetting Northern Ireland is still in the UK....at least it was on the 6 o'clock news!  Right Wrenkins?

Oops - sorry - I'm a complete idiot and my geography has gone totally awry. :S Perhaps I should've said south-west instead of west? I'm trying to wriggle out of it now, aren't I, so I'll shut up and just award the medal to @wrenkins  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 08:27:27 AM »
I think we're going to be able to label the four corners of the UK as:  @Kenora,  south;  @greenfrog, north;  @wrenkins, west; and ?not sure who's currently east? - but I think it will soon be @Lowena (who is currently south, and clearly loves extremes).

Unless anyone else can make a claim???
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 08:34:31 AM »
Who is it who makes a lot of bags?  She lives somewhere in east Kent, Deal I think.

Actually Lands End is south west and Shetland in north east, and although Co Fermanah is west it's also north west (although Scottish Western Isles would probably take that claim) so really the far corner of east Kent is the most extreme.

I don't qualify, too far north.  On the bank of the Thames estuary looking up the North sea.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

greenfrog

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 09:17:06 AM »
I live just over 60 degrees North but although Shetland is NE UK it is still West of the Greenwich Prime Meridian by 1.29 degrees. So, everywhere East of the Greenwich zero line of longitude is East of me.  That takes in a bit of Lincolnshire, all of Norfolk, Kent and East of London.

wrenkins

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 09:30:33 AM »
Here we go. That's everybody in.  0_0

Sewingsue

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »
Here we go. That's everybody in.  0_0
Thanks, wrenkins. Strange how you get an idea in your head. Don't think I had realised how much further east Suffolk was than the north east of Scotland.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 12:03:32 PM »
I think most of us straighten out the UK in our heads, and forget how much the top leans to the left!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 12:08:00 PM »
To be fair I think any time they show the UK - weather forecast, map in a newspaper etc, they straighten it up so that becomes our mental assumption.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.