The Sewing Place

Can I shorten an separating zipper?

sewingj

Can I shorten an separating zipper?
« on: April 04, 2019, 12:44:18 PM »
I`m about to make the hoodie from this pattern
https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/brands/simplicity/simplicity-pattern-1566-babies-separates/

the size I am making calls for a 7inch separating zipper but the smallest I can find it 10inch.

Can I just chop some off the top of the zip? (must admit I don`t fully understand the instructions yet - there is a hood and bias tape which covers the seam between the hood and jacket)

Ploshkin

Re: Can I shorten an separating zipper?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 13:15:19 PM »
I've never had much joy with shortening zips as I can't get the teeth off without mangling the tape.  I don't know if it's possible to remove plastic teeth.  You can sew a thread bar at the top of each side as a stop.  Usually if you shorten a zip you cut off the bottom which you wouldn't be able to do with a separating one and it could be tricky to get the top end tidy.
Life's too short for ironing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 13:15:52 PM »
I usually trim off the bottom. With the zip closed do a few  stitches over the teeth at the point where you want the zip pull to stop when you open it. I do it by hand.  Then cut off the length at the bottom.

Edit: sorry I missed the separating bit.  What Ploshkin said then
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 13:17:48 PM by coffeeandcake »

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 13:16:35 PM »
@sewingj I did it when I made my dressing gown. I had put the zip in first before making the garment up and hadn't realised that the neckline was far too high. I'm not sure about shortening it before sewing it in because you need to ensure that the slider is nowhere near the top at any time until you've made it safe. With mine, I cut the neckline and the zip to where I wanted it, counting the teeth to make sure it was even. I did a bound edge on it, enclosing the zipper ends safely within it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 13:19:34 PM »
It's not ideal, but it can be done if you're desperate.  A 7 inch open-ended zip?  ><  I've no idea where you could buy one from.

Obviously you need to secure the top somehow so the slider doesn't come off. As you say, you might be able to tuck the chopped bit under the neckline binding.

I've replaced zips before where they've come from the manufacturers with a too-long zip, and they've just chopped it off and folded the top end in.

Sandra.
xxx

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 13:48:34 PM »
I`m feeling very frustrated now - I`ve got some lovely fabric for this but it wasn`t cheap and I don`t want to mess it up with a dodgy zip. I`m even considering lengthening the jacket rather than shortening the zip but I need to measure it up against the baby first.

Otherwise @Sandra could I replace the zip with poppas?  If I do, what do I need to think about?

Sandra

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 14:02:11 PM »
At the moment it's edge to edge with the zip, so you'd need to cut it as if you're adding buttons and buttonholes...so you'd need to add an overlap.

I've just had a look in my box of strange, obsolete, weird size/length zips to see if I've got anything in there. I've got a few 5 inch open ended zips, but I've also found a baby pink zip which measures 7 and three-quarter inches long. What colour did you need? Is this any good for you?

Sandra.
xxx

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 14:39:15 PM »
That`s very kind of you Sandra - baby blue would have been perfect but his mother wouldn`t approve of pink!
At the moment I think I will go down the poppas route - they might be more practical anyway until he starts walking (easier to do up when he is sitting in a buggy)

Lizzy777

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 14:48:52 PM »
I`m feeling very frustrated now - I`ve got some lovely fabric for this but it wasn`t cheap and I don`t want to mess it up with a dodgy zip. I`m even considering lengthening the jacket rather than shortening the zip but I need to measure it up against the baby first.

Otherwise @Sandra could I replace the zip with poppas?  If I do, what do I need to think about?

Isn't an open ended zip ok? YKK do lots of colours in 7 inch open-end zips? Aren't they called separating zips in  the US only?

I wouldn't recommend shortening an open ended zip at all.  It won't work well so I wouldn't waste your time on it.

Ebay sellers sell YKK zips as do a lot of other online retailers. I can give you a few links if you can't find them. What colour are you looking for?

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 15:02:07 PM »
@Lizzy777 yes it is an open ended zip.  I`m looking for white or pale blue.  I found various YKK online but when i clicked on the "length" they don`t go down to 7inches.  If you can find one I`d be very grateful

Lizzy777

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 15:11:30 PM »
@Lizzy777 yes it is an open ended zip.  I`m looking for white or pale blue.  I found various YKK online but when i clicked on the "length" they don`t go down to 7inches.  If you can find one I`d be very grateful

I'm looking! I understand where you are coming from on this point. I thought I had found some but I was wrong.  Leave it with me if there is one anywhere I am sure I shall find it.

lizzy x

Radiofan

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 15:16:52 PM »
I've shortened open ended zips before, they are rarely of the right length anyway.

From the top of the zip, using wire cutters, cut the unwanted teeth off near to the fabric. The bits on the fabric then fall out, leaving you with bear tape. Now all you need is new stoppers.

Methods for stoppers:
  • Fabric tabs; fold rectangles of fabric and sew over the end of the top few teeth. As instructed in some patterns.
  • Buy metal stops (eBay) and crimp on with pliers.
  • Melt several teeth together using a soldering iron. Not neat, but stops the zip coming off because the teeth cannot mesh.
  • Sew loops around the teeth so that the zip may not pass. Heavy thread prefferably.
  • Blob of (epoxy) glue over the top tooth or two. Messy, slow, not neat, but works.

I use continuous zippers all the time, the first method results in the end being enclosed and this suits my needs perfectly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 17:30:10 PM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Lizzy777

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 17:28:38 PM »

I have found some black open-zips at 7 inches (18cm) from a seller on eBay.  They are ykk ones. I have written to Simplicity to ask where you get these zips from that they are stating are required and I have just emailed a company I have heard of before that just sell hundreds/thousands of different zips (they're in Knutsford)  and asked if they can source a white or baby blue one. I wonder whether they are a special order when a manufacturer is making clothes that require 18cm open-end zips?

I'm still on the case  ;)

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 17:39:06 PM »
A while ago I shortened a pair of fisherman's over trousers which had separating zips/open ended zips in the outside seams of both legs so that they could be got on and off over boots/waders.  The shortening was done from the bottom of the legs as was the zip.

Being very careful to keep the slider well away from the open end I just cut the ends of the zips off and made new stoppers by hand sewing over and over to fill the gap between two teeth,  then I applied a dab of clear nail varnish over that stitching and let it dry.  There was no way after that that the slider was going to come off.  These were heavy plastic zips.

It's preferable if you can, to cover the cut ends of the zip with a fabric tab but not essential.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 19:22:47 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 18:37:15 PM »
I've shortened open ended zips before, they are rarely of the right length anyway.

From the top of the zip, using wire cutters, cut the unwanted teeth off near to the fabric. The bits on the fabric then fall out, leaving you with bear tape. Now all you need is new stoppers.

Methods for stoppers:
  • Fabric tabs; fold rectangles of fabric and sew over the end of the top few teeth. As instructed in some patterns.
  • Buy metal stops (eBay) and crimp on with pliers.
  • Melt several teeth together using a soldering iron. Not neat, but stops the zip coming off because the teeth cannot mesh.
  • Sew loops around the teeth so that the zip may not pass. Heavy thread prefferably.
  • Blob of (epoxy) glue over the top tooth or two. Messy, slow, not neat, but works.

I use continuous zippers all the time, the first method results in the end being enclosed and this suits my needs perfectly.

I use pliers to pull the teeth off leaving the tape intact. like this
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet