The Sewing Place

Strange thing happened - Sew Today

Gernella

Strange thing happened - Sew Today
« on: April 04, 2019, 13:31:04 PM »
I like Palmer Pleitsch interfacing and the new website does not have it on.  I have managed to get some on Ebay but not the colour I wanted.  Anyway today I was looking on the Sew Today website, nothing on, then thought I would do a search, and up  the page popped.  Swore a couple of times for not doing it earlier, noticed that there was £1.50 charge because under £25, and went to pay via Paypal Express.  It asked what postage I wanted and free was shown. So course chose free.  It has gone through at £12 and I've got a receipt.  <3
Stash extension 2019 - 19  meters
Daren't put used, too pitiful but I am keeping count

Greybird

Re: Strange thing happened - Sew Today
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 14:03:39 PM »
I don't think they know whether they are coming or going. Having cancelled my subscription weeks ago, I received the most recent copy of the magazine.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 14:56:24 PM »
Same here @Greybird, don't think they know their a***e from their elbow, but I'm not complaining, they've never answered any email I've sent so it would be a waste of time.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 15:07:18 PM »
Their site is a nightmare too. I wanted to find the pattern number from a newly release Simplicity pattern. Why on earth do they not have a "new releases" page for each pattern, or even a sort ordering system for all patterns that I can sort by "new"? They need a UX consultant.
Stash Busting 2019
Goal: 100 metres
So far: 13.3m metres

My Blog - Plus Girl Sews // Follow me on Instagram :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 16:40:20 PM »
Searches under pattern number or name of designer don't always find all the patterns and their new release pages are often not right. It's a pity as they are the main supplier of patterns in the UK but they will be losing money if they can't get it sorted and we don't want them to disappear!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 19:00:40 PM »
I've noticed this on quite a few places too (Jaycotts too, though at least their service is good). They don't seem to be doing any sensible or thought out ordering of their pattern pages.

If they just had the newest added patterns first on the page, allowing you to paginate back to older patterns, they'd get a lot more money out of me. As it stands both companies are useless for browsing as you hit the main pattern page and all you get is dozens of patterns you've seen there for years and years and years on end.

Maybe this is just because I work for a company where I'm regularly staring at retail UX in a fairly similar vein to these companies (fashion) that I might consider this a normal thing to do. It's not even that hard depending on what software you're using (and any software worth using for retail will allow you to specify your product list by date added).

I'd also love to see a company put more thought into listing pattern features. I know it seems like lots of work because there are lots of patterns but there aren't tonnes in a release and they come out at different times. If they could actually make useful filters I would be happy.
Stash Busting 2019

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 22:36:55 PM »
@Francesca - perhaps you could offer them your services on a consultancy basis for a fat fee?

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 10:29:48 AM »
Maybe I should give it a go  0_0
Stash Busting 2019

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 18:25:25 PM »
Well another magazine received from Sew Today (foc).  I wonder how long before the penny drops that I've cancelled the ddm.

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 18:56:53 PM »
I don’t know if I paid a one off sub or an ongoing one...I can’t find any info in my account either.

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 22:39:34 PM »
Me too. I received another one today.

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 11:49:35 AM »
They really do confuse me. I sent a message asking about the new McCalls release and when it planned to drop from America, could they give me a date. Got a message back that just said "Order received". Erm, what? No context.
Stash Busting 2019

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 22:25:53 PM »
God Sew Direct is terrible.

I just did an order and for some reason my membership discount didn't apply even though it's linked to my account.

I am not looking forward to having to contact them for a refund of the difference as last time I contacted them I got the weirdest response (see above) and then nothing but silence when I followed it up.

Also, they just lost a sale, as I was browsing through to buy another pattern (or two, who knows!) but because their web development is so terrible I gave up after one page. God knows why they feel the need to request each image on their list of patterns be downloaded at 1,500 pixels wide when the image only shows as 200px wide. That's ridiculously basic. You don't force users to download excess sized images unless you have to (e.g, load the larger image on the product page not the listing page). As a result the images were so slow to load (and I have an excellent super high speed connection) that I just gave up browsing.
Stash Busting 2019

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 09:25:51 AM »
You can imagine how useful that site would have been to me on my 0.2 to 0.7mbps broadband a couple of years ago.  (We have satellite now, the only thing available that is better than the previous speed.)

I am fanatical about making webpages as neat and compact as they can be!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 09:58:36 AM »
Yes it's a pity about Sew Direct. I stopped subscribing some years ago and only order from the website in one of their (now rare) flash sales. But there's no excuse for having the website so cr*ppy.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde