The Sewing Place

Looking for Ringmaster Patterns

b15erk

Looking for Ringmaster Patterns
« on: April 05, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »
I've decided to make Theo a Ringmaster jacket to wear at Lilya's Greatest Showman birthday party.  I was going to draft my own pattern, but as time is short, a pattern may be easier.

The patterns I've found are great, but a) they are vintage and prohibitively expensive, and b) the ones I've found are in America

Can any of you suggest a pattern suitable for a two year old please?

TIA

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

StitchinTime

Re: Looking for Ringmaster Patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 11:46:56 AM »
Can you post a picture of what you have in mind (or the patterns that have been discounted)? Is a ringmaster's jacket a variation on a tail coat?

Edited: I've found a child's tailcoat pattern, but it starts at age 7. The pattern companies seem to think that younger boys want to dress up as dinosaurs not ringmasters.
https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/bd9528#.XKczQqTTWUk
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:54:28 AM by StitchinTime »

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 11:55:12 AM »
This  is what the jacket will be based on SiT.

It's a good excuse to look at the lovely Hugh Jackman!  ;)

I have looked for tail coats as well, and I've found a couple which would be great, but the postage from the US is monstrous!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Samantha

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 12:13:34 PM »
No idea but can you make me an outfit so that I can come to this party please?

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »
'course I can Samantha!!  :D :D

One of the pattern suggestions which have come up, is for a pattern I already have McCalls 4934

I'll have a look tonight.  Last time I made it was for DD who is now 36  :|

It will need some alteration, but I think I can manage as long as we have Theo's size...

Jessie

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 12:22:08 PM »
Does it have to be red? If you're going for a tail coat couldn't you just adapt his penguin outfit? We all saw how much he LUUUURVED that!  0_0  0_0  0_0
I had no idea who Hugh Jackman was but my unstepson was watching a dopey movie over Christmas and my eye was drawn to a particularly tasty pair of jeans!  ;) Turns out HJ was in 'em.  8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 12:26:18 PM »
He really didn't like that Wren!

He love GS though, and dances round with a pan on his head (he has a thing for pans)  and a remote control for a baton!

I think he will rival his sister for dressing up when he's a little older!

Jessie 

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 12:36:45 PM »
Burda have a formal jacket and waistcoat pattern that starts at 2 years, but might be a bit too detailed for dressing up.
https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/bd9443#.XKc7FaTTWUk

Burda (again) have a pyjama pattern where the front of the jacket might be suitable to turn back to make lapels and this starts at 2 years.
https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/b6403-boys-button-down-tops-and-pull-on-shorts-and-pants#.XKc8U6TTWUk

Burda (yet again!) have a pirate costume that you might be able to adapt, but it starts at 4 years.
https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/bd2452#.XKc7V6TTWUk

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 15:51:30 PM »
Burda BD9528 is a child's tailcoat pattern and includes trousers and waistcoat.  I made it for DS when they were doing the Victorians at primary school.  It's now out of print, I think, but you may be able to get it second hand on one of the online emporia?

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 15:57:54 PM »
@StitchinTime and @HenriettaMaria , thank you both so very much, it really is very much appreciated.

I now have a pattern from the lovely Stitches.  It's a waistcoat pattern, but I think it can easily be modified with tails.  I have some red satin, so we'll see how it goes!  ;)

Jessie