Machine for sewing leather – total bargain
« on: April 06, 2019, 08:01:01 AM »
I've found the perfect sewing machine for my needs:

√ Portable
√ Heavy duty (sews thick leather)
√ Accepts thick threads
√ Walking foot
√ Cheap

One of these, variously known as a cobbler's machine, shoe patcher, boot patcher, and leather patcher:

It's a Chinese machine, loosely based on the Singer 29K. Reviews are generally very good, though it is recommended to file down the rough edges, give the machine a thorough clean, and and make a few modifications here and there.

I've had mine only for a short time, but long enough to see that the stitch quality is superb. And that walking foot, it rotates so that you can sew in any direction!

The next adaptation I'll make is to raise the height of the needle bar so the machine will sew with industrial needles.

I'll post images of its capabilities ASAP.

Celia

Re: Machine for sewing leather – total bargain
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 08:20:56 AM »
This look great love the idea of the rotating walking foot

Barcoded

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 09:01:05 AM »
Would look good on a shelf too.

What are you planning to make?
I think I have joined the 201 club

Radiofan

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 10:53:08 AM »
Gosh, it's so stylish  :D

The legs look a bit flimsy, do they hold up if you give it some welly?
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 16:45:35 PM »
What are you planning to make?

I have rather a large quantity of leather (shoulder splits) from which I intend to make book sleeves, a wallet for each of my sons and one for me (lots of layers to sew trough), and I think I'll have a go at making myself a pair of moccasin slippers.

The legs look a bit flimsy, do they hold up if you give it some welly?

The machine came with the tripod, but it's useless – far too rickety, even when the nuts are tightened. I've bolted my machine to a wooden base so it's easy to use on my sewing table.

It's such a pleasure to be hand cranking again.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 16:57:25 PM by Mr Twingo »

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 17:36:53 PM »
@Mr Twingo - where did you find it?

Mr Twingo

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 18:07:20 PM »
Mine was bought on eBay, from a seller in Portsmouth. It was cheaper than buying directly from China via Aliexpress. For the life of me, I can't recall how I stumbled across them.

It comes flat-packed, but is easy to assemble – all you need is a 10mm spanner. You additionally receive a spool of black nylon thread, two hooks, 5 bobbins (they are quite small), tripod stand, spool holder, and 11 needles.

There are several variants that differ only in colour and the number and position of the tension disks. Mine is green with two tensioners – use one for thick threads, two for thin.

The machines are very roughly cast, and there are plenty of imperfections, so some finishing is definitely required. I rounded the edges of the needle plate and gave the entire machine a thorough clean and polish.

It's a great machine with a very soothing sound.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 10:34:17 AM »
I could have used this while making my Poppins return bag Twingo.  It was so hard to sew the handles on that I ended up riveting them on.

Great looking machine, and a bargain too!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.