The Sewing Place

Lining?

Bodgeitandscarper

Lining?
« on: April 06, 2019, 09:36:13 AM »
Please can anyone advise me what I'm looking for?  I need to line the polyester posh frock fabric.  What would be nice and soft and feel good and not stick to a sweaty body? 
Also would you go for a pale grey?  Or just white?  Or pale blue?

Greybird

Re: Lining?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »
Habotai is lovely and silky but very light weight. As for the colour, I would go with whichever is closest to the background colour.

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 11:04:58 AM »
Bodgetandscarper that is beautiful fabric, just love the colourings on this fabric.  My take on the lining would be a very pale grey.  if however you are wanting to make a full length slip then this would be in a flesh colour - so much nicer in having a uniform colourway, i.e. your body and  bra/slip in the same colour rather than blocks of light and darker colours underneath.  I personally cannot abide seeing colours of underwear showing through the top layer, and for a wedding think it is more important to have  an all toning  flesh colourway  underneath.  Flash photography can cause some mishaps in the photographs, and I am sure you do not want this to happen.

By the way where did you get your fabric from, what is it called - thanks.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 11:12:07 AM »
I’d go with white... it would make the colours look better... a bit like undercoating when painting.
Habotai silk would feel lovely.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 12:27:01 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions   0_0
I haven't gone for the habotai as there are mentions of static with it.
So, an anti-static ivory is what I've plumped for. I think you're right @Efemera that a light colour will show up the other colours better. Light grey seemed right, but a bit of a dull colour, so didn't go with that.

I'm also now thinking about a silk dupion for the jacket and have ordered some samples.

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 13:53:52 PM »
Habotai can stick to sweaty skin, living in Hong Kong I know these things  ;) My recommendation would be Bemberg (viscose/rayon) lining. If your fabric is not completely opaque I’d choose whie, otherwise a light grey would to the job too.
Looking forward to seeing your dress  :)

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 14:14:32 PM »
Very pretty fabric, I'd use white or very pale grey for the lining. OOhh silk dupion jacket, lovely, what colour where you thinking of?
Still learning

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 17:10:20 PM »
The silk dupion nay not hsppen, now I know how much it costs!  But I have sent for a sample of blue... but £20 a metre... hmmm...

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 18:33:29 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper how many times does your son get married? Go on - do him proud!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 18:50:16 PM »
The pattern needs 3.9m  :o :S

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 21:16:36 PM »
That must be quite a jacket! Could you find another pattern that takes a bit less?

Ellabella

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 23:07:06 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper blooming heck woman, is it a jacket or more of a toga?

Surely you can find one that needs less fabric than that.

Or as Greybird says go for it. You’ll only be doing this once (we hope).

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 10:02:44 AM »
Buttterick B6383 is the pattern, I suppose it takes a lot of fabric for 115cm width as each piece is going to take up it's whole length, if you see what I mean. 
I'm now looking at satin backed faux silk dupion, £5.99 a metre  :)  Trouble is, the one ebay supplier with what looks like the right colour doesn't do samples.

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper, do you have the pattern in hand? Silk dupioni doesn’t have a nap, so you can cut it ‘up and down’. Check the curting layout of the pattern, they usually do it for fabrics with a nap. You could dave quite a bit of fabric by adding a centre back seam and ignoring the nap layout.

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 10:37:59 AM »
Ah that one. Very nice pattern and I can see why you would want it. Still think it's worth it for your (only?) son's wedding. It's not as if you are buying an expensive dress in a posh shop to go underneath. You are putting in all the work and you deserve to (at least) look a million dollars.