The Sewing Place

Lining?

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Lining?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 10:56:41 AM »
@Manuela , thank you, I've ordered the pattern, and i did think I'd then see how little fabric I could get away with.  I had wondered if a centre back seam could help, and interesting to know it can be used either way up.  Would you do one front one way and t'other front the other way up though?

@Greybird we'll see how much I can reduce fabric requirements by when I get the pattern!

Manuela

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 11:14:08 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper, yes you can cut the front up and down too. Dupioni doesn’t have a nap, so there is no problem. Which view are you going to make? As it’s not a style you’d wear open, you could use substitutes for the facing and a false hem...

ETA: Looking at the pattern again, it says ‘unlined’. Have a look at the facings, they might be huge. You could line it either all the way to the edge, or make narrow facings and line it. Mark down the button/buttonhole position carefully and stabilise it and sew the button on with a small back-button. I’d use sew-in interfacing - a densely woven cotton is my usually favourite.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:21:55 AM by Manuela »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 11:51:44 AM »
@Manuela Thank you for all your advice, it's much appreciated.  I'll be doing view D with the plain narrow collar, it doesn't need the 'puffy' one for this outfit.  As you say it could have huge facings so they may take up a lot of fabric.  I wish you could see actual pattern pieces or a cutting layout on t'internet.  I'm hoping not to line it as I want it to be fairly lightweight.

Manuela

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 12:10:21 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper, you could line the front only and leave the back unlined...

sewmuchmore

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 18:22:04 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper have you looked at Bombay stores? I have just made a dress using some fuchsia silk from the store. Like all on line shops if you can get to the store they have a much bigger selection.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet