The Sewing Place

"Pattern Review" a grumble

Clareew

Re: "Pattern Review" a grumble
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 22:31:09 PM »
I am surprised by how unhappy people are with sewingpatternreivew,  I think it is a great resource.  It takes a lot of effort to write a good review and I appreciate what people write as long as they do write something.  Even from this list, there are those who want to know about the instructions but not about whether it is true to size, and vice versa.  I find it really useful to see garments made up on different body types in particular ones similar to my own.  If you are not a paying member, you will only see recent reviews.  I also take inspiration from the changes people make to a pattern and how they make it their own.

Another good way to find out about a pattern is to google it and look at images.  From this you can follow links to peoples blogs or websites which may give the information you need.

Sewcycle

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 10:45:38 AM »
I like sewing pattern review website too. I find it immensely useful when I’m working out a pattern, especially when there are lots of different reviews for the same garment. The photographs going sideways and being stretched out are difficult and I notice if I take iPad photos I have to put them through an editing program to get them to come out right way up sometimes. I haven’t done many reviews but I like the template they give you, and I always try to mention the size I used ( giving my own measurements) and my impression of whether it’s appropriately sized. That’s something I’ve found very useful in others reviews. I also try to give an honest assessment, and show a back view though sometimes I don’t have enough photos. I’m thankful that pattern review exists and it’s a lot more use to me than pattern companies own photos because I’m not in my twenties, or tall, or average size so I get to see others like me who’ve made the same thing.
'Is there a life before breakfast'

Kwaaked

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 13:29:38 PM »
I have a love/hate thing with PR.  It's the only resource of its kind, but there are a few that I find too unpleasant to mess with, so I quit using it socially.