The Sewing Place

Lounge Pants

datcat23

Lounge Pants
« on: April 06, 2019, 23:54:21 PM »
This pattern has been in my stash for yonks ..... more than 20 years at least.  I would regularly pick it up, flip it over to look at the size table, realise that I didn't fall into the measurement table perfectly (and throw a tantrum), and then stuff it back into the pattern drawer.  I have done plenty of pattern purges, but this one seemed to survive each one. 

Grey crinkle cotton pants by Dani, on Flickr

So last weekend I dug out some crinkle effect cotton (or maybe linen) out of the stash.  This fabric is well marinated, having been in the stash through at least 3 house moves.  I really must get into the habit of labelling my fabric. 

I decided to cut a straight size 24.  Looking at the finished hip measurement, I figured this would give me the ease that I needed, and then I could adjust the rest, as I would be treating this as a wearable muslin.   I didn't even shorten the legs, something I usually have to do.  I cut it out last weekend, and sewed it up yesterday.  Well I was pleasantly surprised.  The hips and waist fit just how I like them, the legs are as baggy as I want (I am aiming for a lagenlook without falling for the Tina Givens hype) without being too baggy.  They are long, but I like the fact that they don't ride up when I sit.  I will probably shorten the front crotch a little bit, but overall, I am very happy with the result. 

I don't normally wear just a singlet and pants, but do so for the sake of an accurate photo.  These will be worn with a long tunic top, or perhaps even a dress.

The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Greybird

Re: Lounge Pants
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:51:31 AM »
Those look lovely. Worth waiting all this time for! Just right for that beautiful weather shining in your pictures - wish we had it!

Celia

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 08:55:15 AM »
Great to use something that’s been in your stash so long with such nice results
, reminds me I must sort patterns

Elnnina

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 16:45:05 PM »
Well done Dani, that pattern must be so happy that you had kept it all this time and decided it was going to be a future keeper.  Isn't it always the way when you have something stored away - there is a reason only the pattern knew it was going to be right for you, so now I bet you will be  raiding the stash to find what else you can turn into some lounging pants or whatever you call them.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 10:10:49 AM »
Sometimes you just know that a pattern and fabric are going to be right for each other - this is one of those moments!

They look great.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Missie

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 10:51:59 AM »
They are lovely DC.  A job well done!

Lisanne

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
They fit well for you !  how lovely to have such a pant success   :D
https://sewingplums.com - opinions on wardrobes, patterns, fit, pattern alterations
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - mainly for my own use, links to good on-line tutorials
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/lisannebainbrid/ - boards for pattern collections and style elements

Canarybird

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 12:58:34 PM »
Everything works, the style, the fit and the fabric. Well done.