The Sewing Place

Posh frock version of Vogue 9112

Manuela

Re: Posh frock version of Vogue 9112
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2019, 12:35:53 PM »
An inch shorter than the shortest part of the dress would be fine @Bodgeitandscarper

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2019, 15:33:35 PM »
Thanks, @Manuela, that was my thought too, but I've cut it to kind of follow the ups and downs, we'll see how that works.

wrenkins

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2019, 15:47:38 PM »
If your lining is longer anywhere than the shortest point of the dress hem, it'll waft out when you move. Will it/won't it?  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Manuela

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2019, 15:53:24 PM »
Thanks, @Manuela, that was my thought too, but I've cut it to kind of follow the ups and downs, we'll see how that works.
Don’t risk it.... better listen to wrenkins and me (or hem the lning twice  ;))
I hope to see your dress soon as your posh frock contest entry.

jintie

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2019, 16:12:24 PM »
And,  Manuela,  can you tell us which posh frock you wore (and describe the footwear please) for your birthday meal?
Rottweiler with scissors

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2019, 16:30:08 PM »
Ah, too late, you know me, bodge it and scarper  0_0  I've already hemmed it, but I didn't check for lining flashes when wafting, and I was getting all hot and bothered so it was a very quick try on.  Will have to check properly later...

and I'll enjoy hemming it again - not!

Manuela

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2019, 16:52:06 PM »
And,  Manuela,  can you tell us which posh frock you wore (and describe the footwear please) for your birthday meal?

Nothing too posh, the novelty denim Marcy Tilton coat dress (I made it one size smaller over Easter) I sewed. I’m fairly limited with what footwear I can wear at the moment, my right ankle is healing very slowly. However, I’ve got these and they disguised the swelling nicely  0_0

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

jintie

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2019, 17:32:49 PM »
Manuela,  I was at Cribbs earlier,  and saw nothing like that! I like the look of Vans shoes - they may fit into your style.
(Check Today's thread for my current wardrobing ideas
Rottweiler with scissors

Manuela

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2019, 17:48:08 PM »
@jintie I got some nice, unlined combat boots and a few pairs of sandals with ankle support. So, nothing really to worry about - it’s getting too hot for the boots though.

Greybird

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2019, 22:32:37 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper if the lining does show when it wafts it will simply say "look - my dress has a lining"!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2019, 09:30:25 AM »
Haha, just what I was thinking  0_0

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2019, 14:04:22 PM »
It's finally finished, and I'm now sorry I didn't persevere and find a "posher" fabric  :(
This is fine really, the colours and all the accessories will look lovely together, but I'm just a tad disappointed not to have made something posher!

I've added a pic of it with the jacket - which is only folded back at the front edges and hem to try to work out a more flattering length and shape than the original pattern. 

Kenora

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2019, 01:55:24 AM »
It's lovely @Bodgeitandscarper - and what is "posh" anyway? (One man's meat, and all that.) Your dress is beautifully understated, and lets the glorious fabric of the jacket shine through. When you put everything together (shoes, bag, fascinator) it will become a classy outfit. <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Holly Berry

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2019, 08:56:49 AM »
Well, IMO, I think it looks posh and when accessorised will look amazing. Well done.

I have this pattern and have put off making it up as it was too short. You have inspired me to make it up now and lengthen it.
Procrastination get behind me

snoozi soozi

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2019, 09:07:40 AM »
I have this pattern and have put off making it up as it was too short. You have inspired me to make it up now and lengthen it.
I made one up as floor-length for a 'summer-waft-around' I loved it
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew